Help Createing Four Sided Gambrel Roof

mradel

I’m trying to create a four sided gambrel roof without manually editing any roof planes.  It works when the building is shaped like a ‘cross’ but fails when the building shape is a ‘rectangle’.  I suspect I need to do something additional with invisible walls.  I researched to death and watched videos but I can’t figure out the next steps.  I tried dormers but I can’t get the dormer peak to meet the gambrel upper peak.  I’ve included the plan.   

Ang suggestions?

image.png.f26fee7010fd750c18b1ed317d74057b.png

Four Sided Gambrel.plan

The image is different from the plan.  The image is what I'm attempting to accomplish, in the plan I have to bump out the center part of the horizontal exterior walls and then the roof is a perfect four sided gambrel.  The problem happens when I try to remove the bump out in the walls to represent the actual building that has no bump outs.  I'm guessing it might be possible by adding some interior walls and make them invisible, but I can't figure out a work-around.  I agree with you, this is not handled well in HD Pro, and it should be very easy. I hope for roof updates in future releases.

Why didn't you say in the beginning that it was the bump out that you didn't want?

Easy to fix with Pro.
First remove the roof returns, then turn OFF "auto build roof".   Move the 1st floor wall back in line with the rest of the wall.  Move the 2nd floor wall back also, and right click to select "align with wall below" (if that option shows up).
Now grab  the right and left roof overhang (dashed green lines)  and drag them out to align with gambrel overhang, OR grab the gambrel overhangs and drag them back to align with the far left/right overhangs (your choice).

The area circled then needs attention.
Where the gambrel roof meets the gutter eave, each roof edge needs to have a polyline break added so that you can bend and manipulate the 2 edges to over-lap as shown.

It just takes a little bit of fiddling.

image.thumb.png.2e40df599e54e516a8b52a0a54338d16.png

• Like 1