Newbie question about wall heights

brucelan

I am new to the program.  I am trying to model an existing house that I own.

It is a Cape Cod with an addition added to it.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to edit the height of part of a floor.

The main house has a gable roof with two dormers.  The roof rests on top of the main floor but is raised up about 18" above that floor.

The addition also has a gabled roof that matches the pitch of the main roof but is not raised upward.

I have made most of the model, but the roof on the main part of the house is too low.  How do I add 18" to the top of the walls of the main house?

I have attached a picture of my in progress model and a photograph of the house.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

thanks!

post-931-0-42393300-1413584486_thumb.jpg

post-931-0-28354300-1413584557_thumb.jpg

You can select any objects (including roof planes) and move them precisefly using the "Transform-Replicate tool"

see this tutorial You Tube Video for a demonstration of how this tool works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyUx4edaqY

You build your roofs and then raise them manually 18" or whatever you require using this tool. There are other methods available in Home Designer Pro but I prefer this one.

DJP

If you open the Roof Plane Specification dialog (double click on a roof plane), select Lock Pitch, then add 18" to the Ridge Top Height, that will move the roof plane up 18".

If the value is [179 1/2"], just enter a +18 like [179 1/2"+18].

I am making progress.

I still don't have the roof correct though.  (See attached file).

How do I cut the roof off below where it merges with the flatter part of the roof?

Also the merge of the flatter roof and the steeper pitched roof is still just a bit off and I am not sure how to correct it.

Thanks for the help!

bruce

@David ......Any reason ,not to add 18" to the Room height on the 2nd floor rather than using Transform/replicate ? or the Raise/lower from ceiling height box on the Build Roof DBX?  just curious .... 

@Bruce ...are you using the Wall Roof Pitch setting to get the " flatter roof " and then the Upper Roof pitch box for the steeper section ? with the change in pitch starting 144" in from the baseline ( or whatever it is ,distance wise?)  

how have you done it otherwise?

you could always post the plan if needed.

M.