Solutions for porch roof

mgsturgeon

I'm designing a One and a Half story home with an attached garage and a porch leading up to the front door. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to the roof at the porch. The inside corner of the porch meets at the main roofs valley. I'm having a little trouble coming up with an idea of how this should be detailed.

My first thought was to make it a flat roof to make it more simple, but that could cause problems (I live in Maine, so snow and ice are a big pain for roofs around here).

My second idea was to have the 10:12 pitch at the short end of the porch meet a 3:12 pitch of the larger section of the porch roof. I think this is a better detail for shedding water/ice, but by doing this it drops the eave of the porch roof down quite a bit and, in my opinion, detracts from the aesthetics.

Any thoughts/comments/advice on this detail would be appreciated. I'm somewhat new to Home Designer so I'm figuring a lot of this out as I go. I was going to attach the full files for the plans but they were way too big, so I attached PDF images. If there's a better way to attach a different file to make this easier let me know. Thanks!

Sturgeon Home VII - flat porch roof.pdf

Sturgeon Home VII - sloped porch roof.pdf

Thanks Solver,  I took everything out of the two versions of the plan except for the exterior and attached them here.

Thinking about it some more, the dormer that I have over the garage may be limiting me on how the steep roof would tie into the lower slope porch roof. I'm not sure. I've had a hard time finding a good example of how this area is detailed in this situation. And maybe that's because a situation like this is usually avoided.

flat porch roof.plan

sloped porch roof.plan

You are right about the dormer position affecting the pitch of the porch roof.

To get this porch roof effect, the south wall of the porch needs to have an upper/lower pitch setting on the roof tab (auto roof build).

You will most likely need to alter the porch ceiling height, as well.

Or, you could skip the solid roof and do a pergola. :)

Sturgeon roof.JPG

Sturgeon roof 2.JPG

Thanks Jo_Ann, I'm going to try and see if I can replicate the porch roof as you have it. I'm still kind of new to HD Pro. As for the pergola, that's an interesting idea to consider and would certainly be easier on the construction side. I'll have to show that to my spouse and see what she thinks. She's the more aesthetic oriented of us while I tend to be more utilitarian.

I'm going to play around with setting that dormer back and see how far it needs to go to get a 3 pitch to line up with the eyebrow that runs across the gable end. (not 100% sure if an eyebrow is the correct term for that)

Wow! Thanks Eric. I have so many questions and so much work to do to understand this. Like getting the edges of the eyebrows to connect properly to the corner of the roof, manually creating a dormer, how you got the siding to not show up in the ortho view and of course getting that porch roof to wrap around the dormer like that. I'm going to take my versions and compare it with yours and see if I can recreate it. It'll be a good learning experience for sure!