HELP! Messed-up ceiling heights

Kristine

Hi all

Working on a plan and can not resolve an issue with ceiling height disparency. When I initially added a second floor and some stairs all was fine. As I continued to work on the plan I noticed a problem (no idea when it arose) with mixed ceiling and floor heights. I never altered the ceiling or floor heights so can not work out why this has happened or how to fix it! Not certain, though it seems like the room incorporating the stairs has had the ceiling raised to accommodate enough head room for the landing? You can see where the crown moudling met the original ceiling which is where I would like it to be reinstated. Is there a way to simply open the area above the stairs? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I have attached the plan. Thank you so much.

Extension_and_Alternations.plan

I deleted a couple of walls on the 2nd floor in that area.

I believe you will need raised ceiling over the landing to meet code, but not sure what your specifics are. Maybe start with just the landing without the 2 steps at the bottom.

The other issue is in the interior where the sub-floor from the upper-level is visible due to the ceiling having been raised. You can see where the ceiling was originally based on the crown moulding position. It's fine over the living area though has been raised raised from the landing coming backwards.

Untitled 1.jpg

I'm not seeing the same as you.

ht1.thumb.jpg.c779fc727d3848518fb2e2de9fed9b60.jpg

13 minutes ago, Kristine said:

initially there was a void above the landing only. Not sure how to get this back?

You will need an Open Below room on the 2nd floor -- basically an extension of the stairwell with a short ceiling. This will change the roof too.

ht2.thumb.jpg.8d5544a2e71e6d1efd702909c16b7f1a.jpg

Wow, okay. that's weird. I'm so confused right now. Why would they look different? That is how mine used to look and how I want it to look again. I remember doing an open below when I first created the stairs though now I can't see the option?

I deleted that weird wall though it changed nothing for me.

Also, your screen shot looks brighter and has more contrast than mine. Mine is dull and flat. How did you do that?

Sorry to bug you. I've had the program for a while though only use it every so often. So much to learn!

Part of the process of learning this software is being confused, the condition occurs just before you become unconfused. The reason, his looks different, most likely is that his copy probably has different settings that your copy, that is what is most likely. Settings in Dialogs and in Default Settings directly effect everything in a plan file. Your job is to find the correct series of settings to get just the effect you want.

DJP

Eric, thank you so much. Yes, that worked for me. What a helpful forum!

Out of interest, which version did you open it with originally? My initial question regarding your screen shot was actually in reference to the standard camera view, not the vector. Yours just seems to have more brightness, depth and contrast. My final views are rather dull and flat, even after greatly adjusting lighting configurations. Wondering if there is a trick?

If you reduce the first 2 steps to 1 step, the rest of the stairs will adjust, and the riser height is still good.

The new landing height will accommodate a tall person without bumping their head.

Also...you can eliminate those pesky yellow triangle warnings if you open the angled wall dbx, and delete the fractional amount on the wall angle. :)

6 hours ago, Kristine said:

Out of interest, which version did you open it with originally?

Chief Premier X10

6 hours ago, Kristine said:

My initial question regarding your screen shot was actually in reference to the standard camera view

They should look the same as whatever version is used, uses the default camera settings found within your file.

This might be a topic for a new thread.

It's often easier in a thread like this if you quote parts of a thread you are referring to. Click Quote to quote the entire post, or highlight a specific area and a Quote This thing will appear.