Dropped ceiling leaves gap between rooms

CompleteNeophyte

I recently bought Home Designer to model my house so that I can come up with some remodel ideas/sketches.  My ceiling height is 8', however I have a "hallway" section that has a dropped ceiling at 7' to accommodate some duct work.  When I try to model this using divider walls, I am left with a gap between the lower and higher ceiling sections. 

Maybe I am building this out incorrectly?  Everything I read in the user manual indicates that I should use a divider wall to split rooms that don't actually have a wall between them...but I don't see how to add a small framed-out section to accommodate the 1' gap between the two ceilings.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

closeCeilingGap.jpg

Post your plan file and someone will have a look.

The software will normally fill that in.

You can also make the wall solid and then place a Doorway without casing. You can drag the sides (or set the dimensions) to the walls on either side and it will be a seamless opening.

ht1.thumb.jpg.929572fd60a6fdfbf2db6f6d4b615911.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, the door without casing seems to do the trick for the appearance.  Not sure about what it does to the underlying structure, but at the moment I need this more for general appearance than actual construction.  

I've included the plan file with the original setup (divider wall in between the two rooms) and it has the gap if you want to take a look.

I also have no roof in this plan, but that's because I am still figuring out how to use the gable lines to model what my roof looks like.  Gable for part of it, and flat over the back area of the house.

Thanks again for the help!

ceiling_gap.plan

Carefully study the "Roof Styles" tab of the "Build Roof Dialog" for the required settings to produce the common roof types in Architectural. Then practice creating such roofs in a simple Test Plan to work out the kinks in your competence to produce such roof types at will. Only then, start applying your newly acquired skills to your house model.

DJP

5 hours ago, CompleteNeophyte said:

I also have no roof in this plan, but that's because I am still figuring out how to use the gable lines to model what my roof looks like.  Gable for part of it, and flat over the back area of the house.

When/if you need help with the roof, please start a new thread. This helps others learn from the responses since the info isn't hidden in an unrelated discussion.