Complicated Roofs - Best Approach

MikeMike

Hi all - I'm using HD2019 Pro, and am having some problems creating "complicated" roofs. 

The project I am working on is a remodel of a 26x36 cape with a full shed dormer in the rear. (12/12 roof front and 5/12ish roof back). In the front is a shed dormer, running about 24' all the way right side of the house, with two cable dormers in the shed dormer.

To the right of the existing house will be a 26x28 addition, with a 4' bumped out gable on the front of the house. The shed dormer will continue along the back until about 4' of the end of the house, where the roof will return to 12/12 bearing on the first floor.

I spent pretty much most of yesterday trying to get this to work, but all I have is a mess on my hands right now. I couldn't get auto roofs to work correctly. I tried manual roofs, but couldn't get the hole in the roof right, or the interior ceilings right. 

What direction should I proceed? Should I be using auto roofs or manual roofs? (or something else?)

Pictures of the existing house will generally help more than a description.

It's typical to begin with an auto built roof, then switch to manual.

I will suggest that you not use the dormer tools, instead think of the dormers as rooms with different ceiling height and roof slope.

Architectural has no Manual Roof Tools, Home Designer Pro does but it requires a lot of study and even more practice to become competent with those tools. Expecting quick results is unreasonable when competent skill is required, stay at it and you will get there.

DJP

On 6/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, solver said:

Pictures of the existing house will generally help more than a description.

It's typical to begin with an auto built roof, then switch to manual.

I will suggest that you not use the dormer tools, instead think of the dormers as rooms with different ceiling height and roof slope.

Here is my attempt at the bump out using auto roofs. The roof on the bump out has an inflection in the slope that I didn't add (at least not on purpose). When I created the first floor, everything looked great. When I added the second floor and then made all the walls on the front side of the second floor knee walls, so the roof would drop down onto the first floor walls in the front, that's when that weird roof line appeared.

OMT-A-1.plan

Edited by MikeMike
bad upload.

Set the 'Build Roof' dialog to your default pitch ( 12").  It is currently set to 8".

Open the 2nd floor back wall and set that pitch to 5.5" or 6". 

You still have not posted an image of the real house, to show what the front dormer is supposed to look like.

Thanks Jo_Ann - that worked dandy.

The real house has 3 gable dormers, but those are being replaced with a shed dormer with two wider gables in the shed dormer, so I don't think a picture of the real house would help. Now that the main roof lines are correct, I'll give a try at that.