Can I draw "bluelines" (guides)?

4ndrew

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to create bluelines (as we used to call them) - which was basically creating layout lines before drawing with ink... 

In practicing by drawing my own home (as well as practicing other stuff), there are some areas I'd like to lay out with guides before creating any geometry.

I know there are some basic lines and shapes that end up on the CAD layer, but if I have a CAD as a reference, it can be a bit of a pain.

What are the most common ways of doing this?

thanks

There are two integral "Grids" that are part of Home Designer Pro, one is a visual or reference grid and the second one is called a "snap grid". The spacing can be controlled by you, one is merely a visual grid and the other allows the program to have a tendency to want to snap or move objects towards grid locations. I personally do not use or like them, but some do. If this is NOT what you are speaking of then please be more specific as to your desires. The snap and visual grids are on by default when one installs the software.

DJP

Hey guys,

Not really a reference grid (though I do like using them) - more like a temporary layout I can use for reference until I'm ready to go. Not sure what the official term is for it, but when I drafted, I'd work in light blue pencil before inking. Yes, ink... 

Something like the attached image - though, I think I'll try using a reference layer, as that may do the trick. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.50.26 PM.png

I don't understand why you want to do this, but is it possible you are using the software like your drafting table, and not taking advantage of its capabilities.

I sometimes see people wanting to lay out things using CAD, or other temporary objects, instead of just using the actual object. Drawing CAD for walls, then drawing in walls over the CAD, for example.

Things don't always line up / snap like I want them to. If I were able to draw reference lines, it would largely resolve that, but maybe I can do that using CAD shapes.

SketchUp and form-z both implement guides pretty nicely, especially the tape measure of SketchUp.

What I mainly do is to use dimension tools to make objects line up, the more familiar you are with them the easier they become for such purposes. I also use 2D CAD lines for such purposes, it depends on what I am doing and what comes to mind of available tools per instance. CAD programs are not created equal, so you learn to  use available tools to get done what is before you.

DJP