Stair tools don't do what this site says they do

Acropolis

Been trying to build a simple stairs, but its narrower than whatever, where ever the default is set - which is NOT in the EDIT DEFAULT settings. 

So if you follow the tutorial, its simple, make two sections and join and every thing is perfect - not.

The narrow width - a 'real dimension' in use in the 'real world' confuses the software and the tools don't work to get the "landing" to turn into pie shaped sections. Even when you narrow it afterwards it doesn't revert and make the pie sections.

Hours, its unreal that there isn't a default stair setting in HD pro 2018, it should be right with the wall and other settings. That might solve the issue, maybe not, plan attached - ignore the lack of second floor details - that does not relate to this discussion on how to get a simple U stairs drawn.

HD FORUM stairs.plan

Not much of a description of what you are trying to do, so I'll guess.

If this is correct, then follow the directions (reference manual) for the 'winders'.  You just have to play with it, trial and error, to get them smaller.

The walls are all important for getting the winder function to work.  Once I had it close, I opened the stair dbx and entered exact stair width and tread depth.

narrow winders.JPG

narrow winders 2.JPG

I know what you are saying and that's just it, the default of 975 to the available space per side of 750 just makes a frustration cause the program s/w isn't adaptable, nor is it smart enough to make larger walls and then shrink the entire thing to the available space.  I did the winder one too,  issue is with the smaller segments, with any of this,... is that if you stop and shrink the width, none of the instructions they have work. I must have tried that winder 100 times.  In the end, I manually had to adjust the height of each of the three sections doing the math on a napkin to get it to work.  None of the instructions, nor any of the tolls do what they are supposed to. 

The stair tool has no default settings that I know of. You commonly draw a stair object, then open its dialog box and change its settings to suit. When working with stairs one must be precise and methodical (sloppiness gets NO useful products).

Software is not smart or lucid nor does it have any "Human" characteristics at all what so ever,it is not alive or aware, rather it is a mechanical tool that one uses to forward their purposes and graphically communicate ones desires to other Building professionals. Software is preprogrammed to function a particular way. It is your job to figure out how best to guide the software to the desired result. Whether the Reference Manual is clear or unclear, it takes what it takes to get the desired result. It is your job to find out what works.

DJP