Stone Wall or Stone Fireplace

chadkee

This is more than likely already been posted somewhere but I cannot find the right answer.  I want to add a fireplace in the house and place a specific cultured stone on the THREE sides of the fireplace.  I have tried many different solutions from Build ... fireplace to creating a large soffit and covering it in stone.  I have cabinets that will be flanking it on each side.  In real world, we would frame the walls out first then apply OSB or Durroc then apply the stone.  I am not too concerned with it being exactly correctly materials but would love any advice from you guys.

Home Designer Pro 2019.. latest update

I am attaching several images.  The one with the fireplace was the version when I used the Build... fireplace option.  I don't want it to show outside at all on the back.  This is a screen porch with one wall framed and closed in and the other two open railing.  I am learning so I know it is not great.  I cannot figure out how to get the support posts to work correctly either if that is an easy answer.  Fireplace is more important 

PROPOSED BASEMENT FINISH.dwg

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.47.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.48.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.48.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.49.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.49.18 PM.png

Use walls like it will be built.

Pass through to make a hole, and one of the fireplaces from the library. There is fire too if you want to add it.

You will find that the convenience tools like build fireplace, bay and box windows etc are not very useful.

You can make them simple or more complex, when built from parts.

ht1.thumb.jpg.a8f2429a7594d00608d3bf852882d1d6.jpg

Thank you... can you explain a little more.. .I want to know how to add stone to the fireplace on all three sides.  I like the idea of building it myself but I don't understand "use walls like it will be built". Do you mean use Interior walls, 2x4?  I have tried that and I cannot add stone to them.  I have figured out how to do the window passthrough and fireplace with fire... all good. I just need help understanding how to get rid of the auto trim on the three fireplace walls and adding stone from floor to ceiling.

14 minutes ago, chadkee said:

Do you mean use Interior walls, 2x4?

Yes.

15 minutes ago, chadkee said:

I have tried that and I cannot add stone to them.

Select it in the library and paint it on the wall. Or, define a new wall type with stone as the exterior surface.

19 minutes ago, chadkee said:

I just need help understanding how to get rid of the auto trim on the three fireplace walls

This needs a work around. Use the Room Divider tool to outline a room, drawing the walls just outside the 3 fireplace walls. You should have a skinny U shaped room that wraps around the fireplace. Select that room and remove the trim. You can move the Room Divider walls closer, but in your case, with cabinets on each side, you will not need to.

U shaped room in green.

ht1.thumb.jpg.a4f3bad5d00156fe94e659f329f32b30.jpg

Thank you solver.  the paint tool worked and it is looking great.

Kirk - That is a great article.  I have been using it a lot but it did not address how to change the surface on the Chase to stone inside the house only without changing all other walls.  The paint feature that Solver pointed out worked perfect with after using this article to build it

Many ways to model a fireplace.
I suggest this:
From the library, choose: fireplace>mantle height>stone fireplace 6.  Place it up against the wall (not thru the wall).  If you want a raised hearth, raise the fireplace off the floor.
Choose either a soffit or a box shape for the missing pieces  (shown in blue).
If you don't want the mantle, select the fireplace, and choose 'explode architectural block'  (tools at the bottom of the screen ).
In the 3d view, select just the mantle, and delete it.
Put the stone of your choice on all the parts as needed.  Done.

stone fireplace #3.JPG