Dormer windows flush with exterior walls

theallan

I'm trying to model dormer windows like those shown in the attached photos (internal and external photos shown). I've got the sloping roof with the ceiling height corrected (thanks for the help @solver!) but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the dormers flush with the exterior walls (floating dormers on the other hand work really well!).

I've attached a really simple box room with the angled ceiling that I want to put a flush dormer on (for lack of a better term).

Thanks!

Allan

dormer.plan

interior.jpg

exterior.jpg

Thank you! That certainly looks a lot better from the outside - I've got the basic structure now.

On the inside, odd things are happening with the rendering - screenshot attached. The ceiling of the dormer hangs into the room since I guess I specified the inner room a little big in this demo, but the section above it should be finished ceiling, and I'm not sure why the artefacts from the dormer roof are poking into the finished ceiling.

Allan

weird-dormer.png

dormer.plan

• 4 months later...

I have Chief Architect Premier versions 7-20, Home Designer Pro, Architectural, Suite, Essentials and Interior versions since about Version 6 and whether or not you directed your question to me or not, Since 1995 when I started the answer was yes back in 1995 and is still "yes" now. Learning to obtain a result with this software or any software really is a developed skill not luck or random success.

DJP

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

I have Chief Architect Premier versions 7-20, Home Designer Pro, Architectural, Suite, Essentials and Interior versions since about Version 6 and whether or not you directed your question to me or not, Since 1995 when I started the answer was yes back in 1995 and is still "yes" now. Learning to obtain a result with this software or any software really is a developed skill not luck or random success.

DJP

No DavidJPotter, the question was not addressed to you, but  I'll rephrase the question an put it in dickhead language that you'll understand. Is it possible in HD Pro to build a dormer window as shown above, using the auto dormer tool without manually using soffits and inverted wedges and so that it looks the same externally and internally simultaneously?

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the angry response, resorting to name calling. I hope it makes you feel better to lash out at me. The answer to your question is "Yes" it can be done without resorting to workarounds. Angry persons generally are not happy or very competent, a lighter, happier attitude might help in the direction of any attained competence you may, in the future obtain. I do wish you well in any case.

DJP

3 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Thank you for the angry response, resorting to name calling. I hope it makes you feel better to lash out at me. The answer to your question is "Yes" it can be done without resorting to workarounds. Angry persons generally are not happy or very competent, a lighter, happier attitude might help in the direction of any attained competence you may, in the future obtain. I do wish you well in any case.

DJP

I'm not angry, I simply don't appreciate you implying I'm lazy, incompetent or stupid. You could've simply informed me that these dormer windows are easily built in Pro using the auto dormer tool etc but instead you chose to blow wind up your own arse and refer me to the manual. (which I've read, and I've been struggling with this for days and this forum was a last resort for help). I know for a fact that they cant be built using the auto dormer tool in HD suite so I was asking if It was possible in Pro. 

"direction of any attained competence you may, in the future obtain". That doesn't even make sense.

Dear Lady,

I do not know you well enough to say, in any way that you are "lazy" or anything else. I was merely pointing out, what I thought to be germane to getting anything done with this software based upon my own experience with it. It is not even my purpose to "make you wrong" for anything at all. My intent is and always will be "to help" others get things done that they want to be done. Dormers of any kind, manual or dormer tool require some tweaking and since the dormer tool has preprogrammed limitations one has to then step in manually and do whatever is required to obtain an acceptable result.

If I were to simply say that upgrading to Pro will solve all your problems would be too simplistic to state. Upgrading to Home Designer Pro or Chief Premier offers potential solutions to a wider array of possibilities but once purchased, those tools and procedures have to be learned to be in any way possible, useful to you or anyone else.

DJP

Thank you David. I am fully aware that upgrading to Pro wont solve all my problems, I was just hoping that throwing $400 at it might solve THIS one. I'm quite happy to have to do a few tweaks to get it right, but at the moment its proving next to impossible with HD suite. In case you haven't noticed, 90% of new houses in Ireland are a storey+half with these type of dormer windows. I've done hundreds of them and there's always an issue and it takes me hours to get right. I was hoping and half expecting HD Pro to be able to do it a little easier. That's all. 

• Upvote 1

With HD Pro you can directly edit and manipulate roof planes, Wall Polylines and other types of object that you cannot directly touch in Suite, Architectural, Interiors or Essentials which delivers a lot more freedom and ease to make perfect more things which automaticity and pre-settings alone do not allow. You will find it liberating indeed compared to Suite.

DJP

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Angie15 said:

To All those dicktards, who said you can do so much better with Pro, upgradeto pro they said, it will be better they said, No<   I am on pro , it sucks. 

You do realize the Original post is 2 years old, If you would have followed the instructions solver gave in 2018, you would know

that Suite can do what you wanted it to do, which is very easy to do in Suite.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:03 AM, LawB10 said:

You do realize the Original post is 2 years old, If you would have followed the instructions solver gave in 2018, you would know

that Suite can do what you wanted it to do, which is very easy to do in Suite.

Yes I do realize that, and do you know what else, it doesn't work when your walls are 350mm plus thick, it leaves feckin holes everywhere that you have to fill with soffits and wedges and soffits and more soffits and celings and more soffits only to realize you cant use soffits because they don't span ceilings and walls and then have to change to shapes which keep snapping by default to the to the terrain!

• Upvote 1