Getting Started

chadkee

I am starting to use this software and wanted recommended steps or setup to help in the process of getting as built measurements for basements into plan.  When I measure an unfinished basement I am inside the space.  I can get good measurements but what is the best practice to getting the initial perimeter outline done accurately since my measurements are from the inside

Basement.jpg

If you have the interior measurement, set the default dimensions to use the interior, or draw it roughly and tweak it by using the "interior dimension" tool and drag the arrows to the walls you want to align. Just be sure to start from one wall or corner so everything stays correct. Just set your foundation wall thickness in the defaults and it should work just fine.

Thank you.  couple of questions.  I know how to set default foundation.  That is all good.  I don't know how to change default dimensions.  I assume that is better than using interior dimension tool and doing one at a time.  Basically any suggested process flow I would really appreciate.  Currently this is what I have done

1 - Measure the basement - Done 

2 - Drew basic that is roughly close to the size of the basement

3 - System automatically creates a roof that I then deleted

4 - Dimensions were auto created.  If I knew the outside measurements I could do it just fine but I dont

I am assuming you are suggesting I also add interior walls in place I guess they should be and then start in one corner and work my way around?

I have read it.  Many times I only do basements for the job.  That what this one is.  Just a basement.  I am just wanting some good advice on how to work with an as built or renovation project.   How to get accurate measurements drawn out. I can figure it out but I figured there might be best practices on how to go from measuring a space to getting it into a job

If you are using the software as part of your business, consider creating a new template that has all the automatic features off. Things like auto roof build and auto dimensions.

For transferring field notes into a plan, temporary dimensions work well. You draw the rough shape, then using temporary dimensions, working clockwise, you adjust each wall as required. You need to turn off auto dimensions for temporary dimensions to work.

Exterior dimensions will change with the wall type.

There are multiple good videos on YouTube -- here is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeEQHt3fvgE

Suggest you spend an hour or so every day watching the videos and practicing what they show.

As Jo Ann said, the Users Guide contains a tutorial which will also be helpful.

The program is designed to build the 1st floor first, and then build up or down from there, but if all you are doing is a basement remodel, there is no reason not to draw just the basement.