Changing Scale

litelineinc

Hi All,

I've searched as much as I could and couldn't find the answer, hence the post.

I imported a .pdf that's 3/16" scale, but it looks like the default measuring tool is 1/4".  How can I change the measuring tool to measure to 3/16" (or other)?

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2018

Thanks,

Tal

The program does not understand the content of an imported image or PDF.

Even at the correct scale, there is nothing to accurately measure from.

You will need to create a plan using the instructions David posted above, or create CAD lines that might for example, represent the face of a wall, that you could then dimension from.

Giving us more information about why you are trying to do what you are asking about will help others help you.

Yes, the article David linked was helpful.

Basically, if I get a .pdf that's 1/4" scale and import it into a layout, any measurements I do with any tool matches with what is written on the page.  So if a wall is already noted at 10' and I use the tape measure tool, I also get 10'.  The led me to believe (possibly incorrectly) that the tape measure tool is set to measure on 1/4" scale.  And when I get a .pdf that's in a different scale, the tape measure tool does not line up with what's written.

So when I'm laying out locations of recessed lights, for example, I need the scale measurement to match so that the electrician installs them in the correct places.  If I'm laying out based on 1/4" and the electrician is using 3/16", I'll have an angry customer.

The issue with the article is that it seems like a tedious fix, I have to trace over everything. I was hoping that if the tape measure tool seemingly is set for 1/4" scale, it would be easy to change that 3/16" scale.  

I did get a suggestion from a friend to create a CAD box to match the known size over the room I'm working on, then resize the .pdf to match the box.  That actually worked out pretty well.  It might be off by a foot, but on a 40' room it's close enough.  It's quicker than tracing over but slower than what I hope would be a couple of clicks to change the measurements to deal with a different scale.

Thanks again for your help.

2 hours ago, litelineinc said:

he tape measure tool is set to measure on 1/4" scale

Not true, with a plan file in plan view the scale is set to 1' = 1' scale as most Architectural CAD programs are so set. It is common that when importing a "24" x 36" PDF if often comes in scaled to 1' = 1' but it is dangerous to assume this without checking its graphic dimensions with Home Designer dimension tools which are unchangeably set to 1' = 1' scale, on that you can depend.

DJP

David- I could be remembering incorrectly, but normally the plans I receive are 1/4" scale.  And when I compare the measuring tool results to what is printed on the plans, they match.  I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten a 1:1 scale .pdf.

I've attached the .pdf.

Ultimately, the trick of making the CAD square worked great.  The only issue is resizing the .pdf isn't in real time, so I have to estimate the size, let go of the mouse and then it'll snap to the new size.  Then the fine tuning takes some doing, but still ended up being pretty quick.

SD2.1 FLOOR PLANS.pdf.pdf.pdf

PDF's are generally printed at a specific scale, as you indicated, the document you have is at 3/16" scale.

When you are drawing in Floor Plan view, you are actually drawing at a 1:1 (1" = 1") scale as David pointed out.

So, to make the imported document work for tracing over it, you need to scale it up from 3/16" scale to 1:1 scale. Take a look at the Knowledgebase article that David linked to.

It contains the steps for scaling an imported image/PDF file up to 1:1 scale so that you can trace it more accurately. It's never going to be a perfect scale, but it should be close enough for you to get the drawing put together and then fine tune it.