Defaults and Preferences

starreece

I watch the video and read the reference manual. I'm still not sure what the difference is between and defaults and preferences. I think one is permanent and the other has to set for each new plan. Can you please clarify.

3 minutes ago, starreece said:

one is permanent and the other has to set for each new plan

That's one way of thinking about it.

Preferences change how the program operates. You can change things that are part of the program, like Fonts, and which directories are used for various things.

Defaults change how things in the model are drawn. 

To further clarify "Defai;t Settings" is .plan file significant whereas Preferences sets up tendencies that the program will then have from there on.One uses the software in a particular way and that way is in Preferences. One might be designing a remodel, so in such a case you would use different Dimension settings for a remodel and different settings for a new structure, those changes are made in the .plan file by way of Default Settings just for that plan file and not all plan files.

To alter each new plan before the fact is done by opening one's .profile plan (found in "My Documents/Home Designer xxx/Templates" where you use .profile for Imperial measure units or .profilem for Metric Units. You open one or the other and directly modify its settings to reflect your personal likes and dislikes and then save the edited copy back into your Templates folder for future "New Plans". I would not do this until you are more comfortable using the software, as mistakes can be made that can become annoying to one.

DJP