Backdrops - how to fix to plan rather than camera orientation?

meowsqueak

I have noticed when creating walkthrough videos that the outside backdrop (skybox) seems to be fixed to the camera orientation, rather than the plan. This means that when the camera pans to one side, the backdrop moves outside the windows of the house, as if the house is rotating around the camera! It's quite unusual and clearly not correct behaviour. Is there a way to lock the backdrop to the plan for less nausea-inducing walkthroughs?

I have Home Designer Suite 2015, 16.4.1.20OSX.

You can set the backdrop to a flat color, rather than an image.

You could also create Billboard Images around the sides of the house (if you have actual photos taken from each side this could create a kind of neat effect looking out the windows to see what would actually be there).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not to my knowledge but this would make an excellent "Suggestion" or "Feature Request" for the future.

Thanks, seems more like a major bug report than a feature request though - why would anyone want the skybox to be fixed to the camera rather than the model? :)

I had limited success with using the spherical panoramic backdrop option in HD Pro 15. The picture used as the backdrop image has to be just right for it to work.

First, to create the panoramic effect, the left side of the picture needs to blend with the right side. So, the picture in my earlier post would definitely not work.

Then, since the picture fills the inside of a “bubble” around your plan, the horizon needs to be in the middle of the picture, and there needs to be a lot of blue sky. The top portion of the picture fills a dome above the terrain, the bottom half a spherical pit under the terrain. One picture that somewhat works is the “Fields” picture in the “Backdrops/Land/Flat” folder. You need to make the terrain really big (1000' x 1000') so it will blend with the horizon. One small issue is the loss of resolution, which makes the backdrop fuzzy. But you get the effect that meowsqueak is looking for, a backdrop that is fixed with the terrain, not the camera.

• 2 months later...