Building modifications

LenB10p

I have created a multistory building with a garage attached to it via a covered walkway (porch).  I want to delete the garage and connecting walkway but when I do this I can't delete the roofs.  How can I do this without changing the roof on the main house?

post-1494-0-43520300-1449090164_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

LenB

Apologies but I'm not certain that I understand your answer.  Are you asking me to post the images into my comments here?

Also, are you saying that I can't change the way that the roof is rebuilt after deleting the attached garage and porch?

It that is the case, then I'll have to create this building from scratch without the garage and porch to get the roof on the house that I want.  Again, I'm not an architect or builder, but simply want to design a house that I can hand to an architect to create a professional version.

7 minutes ago, LenB10p said:

Are you asking me to post the images into my comments here?

Yes please. 

8 minutes ago, LenB10p said:

Also, are you saying that I can't change the way that the roof is rebuilt after deleting the attached garage and porch?

No, I'm saying that in Suite, the only way to get rid of a roof is to rebuild all roofs.

9 minutes ago, LenB10p said:

It that is the case, then I'll have to create this building from scratch without the garage and porch to get the roof on the house that I want.

Why would you think that? If you redraw the house without the garage and build the roof, you will be where you are now -- after deleting the garage and rebuilding the roof.

What's wrong with the roof after rebuilding without the garage?

I can see the problem but don't know how to fix it.  The roof build after deleting is higher than the original and the window on the staircase does not have a gable roof over it.  I'm designing from my current house (which I have used the plans from the builder)that I want to rebuild in another location.

LenB_roof_before_deleting_garage.thumb.png.a5a09a7a504d3be606cda7ccb4d5083c.png

LenB_roof_build_after_deleting_garage.thumb.png.5248a27ed06d4d89e8472b09696298b9.png

The dollhouse view shows the second floor as it should be (the porch roof encroached due to my poor creation) but this reflects the real floor structure

LenB_dollhouse_view_after_deleting_garage.thumb.png.837bff0b5ff775adc76a9590676267eb.png

The floor plan for the second floor shows the roof outline even though it was removed before removing the porch and garage.

LenB_floor_plan_2ndFloor_after_deleting_garage.thumb.JPG.9177c874fb1b0cd1852ea660503aa70b.JPG

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

That what I get when I rebuild as well.  If you don't delete the garage and create a 3D full perspective, you can see the roof line front and back of the house which is correct.  In the view you've created I notice that the window on the stairway at the front does not have a gable wall above it.  I don't know the software well enough to understand why.  The plan with the garage included does have the correct roof line.

Part of my challenge is remembering how I created the half storey/attic which enabled me to have the dormer windows.

Does this make any sense?

These photos should give you some idea of what the real house looks like.

P1010058.thumb.JPG.91014f736b3b1644a9a57cdd1fca6cfb.JPG

P1010231.thumb.JPG.397b5b9324d6e1f45d2289fd8fd4ee7c.JPG

You set lower ceiling heights for the 2nd floor.

Then turned off 'auto build' roof.

Then raised ceiling heights.

When you rebuild the roof, it builds with the higher ceiling height.

You most likely created individual 'rooms' for the 'dorms', with higher ceiling heights. After 'auto build roof' was turned off, you were able to delete the walls to those 'rooms'.  You now have to recreate the 'rooms' to rebuild the roof correctly.

This should get you started. 

Turn on Auto Rebuild Roofs.

Go to Edit>Reset To Defaults

Select All Floors, and Roof Directives In Walls

As Jo Ann said, you need to lower the ceiling height on the top floor -- Go to your defaults and make the rough ceiling 1728 mm. This should change the entire top floor.

To create the raised roof over the windows, draw in 3 walls behind each one as shown in blue to create a small room. Change (raise) the ceiling height in that room to raise the roof.

ht1.thumb.jpg.a50d1e16aa04d8a16b9c47e8085db6ea.jpg

Correction:

I think that you took a shortcut and right clicked on the 'dormer' windows, and chose 'gable over window/door', (instead of building dormer 'rooms' with higher ceiling heights).

What Eric is suggesting, is the way it should be done.

If you intend to continue modifying the plan, then you need to keep 'auto build' roof turned on.

I would build those window 'rooms' using the invisible 'divider wall', and then leave them there, and also leave those 'rooms' set to the finished ceiling height.

The rest of floor 2 needs to be left at the lowered ceiling height.  Hint: uncheck 'ceiling over this room' in all the remaining 2nd floor rooms, and this will allow you to view the rooms with the camera. The roof can rebuild over and over again (as you modify the plan) and will not change the way the 2nd floor appears.

Remember when you begin to build the garage, that you already have a 2nd floor.  You just need to manually draw the walls over the 1st floor.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've followed all your guidance as best possible and seem to have hit another snag.  For some reason there is a roof pane inside a ground floor room and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I've done wrong.  Also, the upstairs rooms above have something poking up into the attic area.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

See the attached views.

Thanks

Len

5ace32165a4b7_LenBdollhouseviewofgroundfloor.thumb.jpg.902a161405ef4e372aa56e388e83d9ea.jpg5ace3218d9c17_LenBdollhouseviewofupstairsaftercreatingdormers.thumb.jpg.c0e6e6b7b8aedc73530894ec32ba15e8.jpg5ace321b90700_LenBdollhouseviewwithroofinsidearoom.thumb.jpg.f65853d29ee03b42c67b163b30c5d704.jpg5ace321d63aa2_LenBfloorplanofgroundfloor.thumb.jpg.70722919f0dcda042692b290f49c7050.jpg5ace321fd96e5_LenBviewaftercreatingdormers.thumb.jpg.dcf4e8ff88b0ddd88d359bfd1dc6b68f.jpg