Terrain Perimeter Frustration

valvestud

Hello. New user enjoying Home Designer Architectural 2018. I'm finding it relatively easy to use, but have run up against a wall related to building a terrain perimeter. I have a surveyor's drawing with coordinates and distances, radii, etc. The problem is that everytime I construct from CAD lines, the shape may or may not represent the actual shape and even if it looks close, a check of lines previously draw and dimensioned have changed. Is there a secret/sequence required to assure that each and every segment drawn does not move or change as I add subsequent segments? I've attached a PDF of the drawing I'm working from.

Plot.pdf

Have you reviewed the info available on the Home Designer web site, searched the forum and checked the videos on YouTube?

If you don't need something exact, you might be able to trace the drawing after importing the PDF.

This subject has been discussed here many times in the past. The thing about importing Surveyor's Data is that it was generated by a very expensive software application that professional surveyors use. When importing such an object into Home Designer or even Chief Premier tends to generate such an overly complex terrain plane that NO usual PC or Mac can easily parse or display per second on screen. If your terrain is relatively flat, there should not be a problem but if it has lots of highs and lows it can then be problematic for your computer to handle the results.

Professionals, like Eric and I avoid anything like that (we have work to do and hate delays). so I do as Eric has suggested. I import a site plan document, make sure it is scaled and then trace over its contours only enough to get the terrain generated, align it to the computer screens North and South. If I want to show magnetic North, I use a graphic North Pointer found under 2D CAD Line tools to indicate, relative to the house. With Terrain, less is more in that too much terrain modulation and it hogs all your PC's hardware abilities to operate. 3D modeling applications display objects using "3D Faces", the more 3D faces there are in a .plan file the longer it takes your computer to generate a visual of it per second. Eric and I suggest you not go in that direction. As veteran end users we know what works and what is a waste of time, or you can believe the hype of the Sales Department and demand performance of your computer that it was not designed to deliver. The choice is yours.

DJP

Thanks for your response. Due to other shortcomings of the Architectural level of software, I'm in the process of upgrading to Pro. In regards to this issue, it seems like the polyline process should work to achieve an accurate perimeter since I have accurate surveyed data for input. Perhaps I'm asking too much of it, or perhaps the Pro will handle better. I'm only looking for an accurate perimeter for home layout/placement. The lot is "flat" and terrain profiles are not needed... at least on this project.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks very much! Process is very clear. I was hoping to actually generate an exact plot based on the surveyor data. The other frustration on my lot is that the city maps break right thru my lot, so I have to look at two different blocks. In any event, these approaches will get me where I need to be.

Thanks again,

Joe