Winders don't meet building codes

447Debbie

I find it impossible to draw winder stairs to meet the building codes. They need to be 6" minimum at the NARROWEST portion, then 10" minimum tread depth at a distance 12" out at the walk line. It's the 6" dimension I am having trouble with. I cannot force the winders to the 6" minimum. I've tried using a narrower stairway, stretching the stairs, etc, nothing seems to work. The program always fills in the steps and makes that minimum dimension somewhere around 1.5" give or take.

For example, see attached picture. If I try to open up the space inside the "u-shape" in an attempt to get that 6" dimension, the program just automatically adds another step. I cannot draw these steps to meet the 6" code.  

junk.jpg

Whenever I put in more than one landing, the stairway is no longer considered one and I have to manually tell the program at what height to place everything.  That's a royal pain and open for errors.  I think the program should allow you to draw steps to the IRC code.

18 hours ago, solver said:

I agree, but the program works as it does, so if you want winders ...

I think I figured out a workaround.  I might even leave the final construction like this, vs. a winder.  HOWEVER, I don't know if this is allowed.  I don't see why it wouldn't be, but stranger things show up in building codes.  This might be a gray area.  Both landings are making a turn, but they are also in the direction of travel, so having that middle step as a standard tread depth might not meet code.  If it doesn't, I'm sure a three step winder would meet code there, I just can't draw it in this program.  I worked out the math though and it will meet the 6" minimum and the 10" minimum at the 12" walk line.  In my opinion, what I have drawn is actually safer than a winder.  But if it's not to code, I'll stick a winder in there.

junk.jpg