Can't create different ceiling heights

LeftRightDesign

I have been trying to set a 112-1/4" ceiling height for the entry in one of my HD Pro 2018 plans.  Default height for the 1st floor is 114-1/4", but whenever I change just the entry, all the other rooms change as well.  Have read thru the Knowledge Base article on the subject ten times and cannot figure out why this is happening.

I cannot attach the plan because it is too large (128MB, and max file size for an upload is 25MB).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Never seen a 128MB plan file -- nothing even close. 

Try drawing a new plan that exhibits the behavior and post it.

Make a video of yourself working on the plan.

Try stripping out everything unnecessary in the plan -- cars, furniture etc and getting it down to a manageable size.

The common denominator of such problems is a failure on your part to first set "Edit - Default Settings-All categories" before starting to draw your plan. Especially in your case, Edit - Default Settings - Floors - Current Floor - Ceiling Height, you are supposed to set that value for the majority of the first floor before actually creating that floor. Once it is created, any necessary changes are then made in a single Room Specification Dialog box.

Eric, it is common that new users often concentrate on embellishments to a.plan file like plants, driveways and other brick-a-brack that is easy to add instead of really learning how to use the software to correctly 3D model structures. They often import with wild abandon objects made using Sketch Up. often without regard to how that bloats the size of the plan file. Where I see such bloated files is most usually here in situations similar to this one, (they need help but cannot share their plan due to its size).

DJP

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I had already tried stripping out the bric-a-brac (which is how you spell it, btw) but that did not significantly reduce the file size.  I did just copy the whole floor over to a new plan, and I was able to make the changes to the ceiling height w/o any problem there.  I can use that file for the current purpose (trying to see how the crown molding will die around a corner and how far into the entry to carry a soffit, questions that the contractor asked me yesterday since he's about to build it), but I'm still unclear about how the file got that big, why it won't get smaller, and why setting the default ceiling height at the beginning should matter.  In this case, the clients went back and forth multiple times about how high they wanted the ceiling in the kitchen to be (and we ended up w/ two different heights), so I have no idea how many times I changed it.  I am a kitchen and bath designer, and I frankly didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the ceiling heights in the other rooms on the floor since I wasn't working on them. I'm not a newbie, but I don't see why, if I need to change all of the ceiling heights in the course of working on the project, it should cause this problem.  Is it more likely to be related to the file size?

One thing that I did do at one point many moons ago was import the architect's drawing as a picture to confirm that my measurements matched hers.  I'm pretty sure I deleted it, and I can't find it in the plan, unless it's still hiding back there somewhere.  (I had set the brightness to 100% to leave it in the background in case I needed it again.)  Could that have done something??

It's been a looooong project w/ these clients, so I'm not sure what else I might have done to make the file so unwieldy, but I'd be interested in hearing any other thoughts.

Just as an FYI, here is a screen shot of the first floor (and there's literally nothing on the second floor but the exterior walls) w/ everything stripped out of it and all the display layers turned on.  I do have a lot of saved cameras, but otherwise I don't see anything odd.  File size for this plan is 114MB.

First floor_ceiling height test file.JPG

To be sure one knows all about the content of a .plan file one would have to go to "Display Options" for plan view, turn on all named layers in Display Options to then see the entirety of object content, visually, what one actually has. Then you can decide what to leave included and what can safely be deleted. Lots of objects can be there in actuality but just temporarily turned off (invisible).

DJP

You might, if you have time, share your plan with Chief Tech Support to see what they might comment on relative to the file size and any other problems you are having with this plan or you can share a copy of the plan with us here by way of Dropbox, One Drive or Google Drive where larger files can then be shared without regard to Home Talk.

DJP