Can't create dormer on gambrel roof

RareBear

Need to create a dormer over a stair landing on the 2nd floor of the attached *.zip file.  Just dosen't want to go past the roof plane joint and it has to. If you study the *.jpg's you'll see what the problem is. The stair landing is at the low point of the roof plane and I need the dormer so the roof line is raised in that area to create at least 90" of headroom, preferably 96" to match the hallway leading to it. Just can't get it wider than 4' which it appears to break the roof plane joint. I know it's a complicated area but there has to be a way to do it. fyi: seems like every time I intersected some wall, or created a new wall, it destroyed all 2nd flr elevations on the left side. The red line markups show approximately the size it needs to be, Will have to create another one equidistant on the right just for summitry. Really need a solution soon :-(

Thank you for any help you can provide.

cg001c.7z

Dormer01.jpg

Dormer02.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg

I cant seem to extend any new wall lines to create the dormer sides without completely destroying All 2nd floor floor and ceiling elevations, including the 200" high living room ceiling. On one occasion I touched or crossed a wall line and it made the hallway floor elevation  minus 12"!!!

Gable would be fine...even had a flat roof partially on one time that looked pretty good until i did something to make it all vanish :-(

And thank you !!  And please tell me if you find that some unaligned or incorrectly designated/spec'd wall, or room, or ceiling etc etc etc is causing the problems

solver - THANK YOU !!!  It works !!  And you taught me a bunch of other features in the program I didn't know existed......

You'll be welcome at my lake house anytime....if you can put up w/ a bunch of grand-kids :-(

Glad you found the video helpful.

I did not pay much attention to your plan when doing the video, but took a closer look this morning.

I'm guessing this is something you are planning to build, so I'll suggest reviewing it with a designer. 

Here is one suggestion that you might find improves the stairs. You have room for an L shaped stair, and could make use of the area under it for storage. Moving the front door to the left gives you a bit of an entry space, and space for 2 windows to the right.

ht1.thumb.jpg.d0b34656b609f5b4f8c57c32def37ef1.jpg

I also noticed that much of the plan has been drawn wrong, so I suggest redrawing. All your 1st floor, floor heights are -8", when they are typically 0", for example. If you are building slab on grade, the out of box defaults should work.

Start by setting all your defaults. Ceiling heights and other structural dimensions. Also materials -- when I drew new roof planes they came in with shingles instead of metal, for example.

When looking at the Structure panel, for most rooms, you should be using default values.