Help with rooflines on remodel...

ElkRivers

Hello-

I am new to Home Designer and Home Talk.  I recently started using Home Designer Pro 2018 on a Mac Desktop Computer.  I am trying to put an addition on a very simple, rectangular ranch style house.  The roof pitch of the existing roof is 4/12 and my customer wants a 6/12 gable roof on the addition.  I want to show them an option with a small hip on the backside of the new roof peak, and an option with a small gable on the backside.  I have looked through HomeTalk content and online videos but haven't figured out how to do this!  Can anybody help me?

I enjoy reading your posts.  They have helped me get past most of my hurdles so far...

Thanks!

Karen

Blomquist Kitchen Remodel 2018.plan

Thanks for filling out your signature and attaching the plan.

I'll suggest you always start with an auto generated roof. It's usually possible to get close, or even correct quickly, and then if needed switch to manual.

I generated this at 6/12.

ht3.thumb.jpg.0535eaaded18917bcc6ea0d67111b929.jpg

And then this at 8/12, which I'm guessing is what you wanted.

ht2.thumb.jpg.9cf605bab44927548677c7037b66dfab.jpg

You get the hip on the back automatically.

Here is a video -- no sound, about doing the gable on the rear. Roof planes are polylines, and are shaped like a slab, for example. 

Select a roof plane and mouse over the icons in the Edit Toolbar. You will need the Break and Join tools, which are 3 and 2 on the keyboard. You will see I worked in 3D, then switched to plan for cleanup. 

ht1.thumb.jpg.105630d39f1e5c2a90160cedd4d4907e.jpg

Solver-

Thank you for your help!  I am still stuck on the pitch..No matter what, I can't get the roof on the original house to draw at a 4:12, which is what it is built at and staying at.  The addition should have a 6:12. Every time I try, I get the original house drawn at 6:12... Is there something obvious I am missing? If I manually change it to a 4:12, then my rooflines don't meet any more. 

Thanks! 

Karen