Winder Landing

447Debbie

Why isn't the Architect fixing the stair?

Trusses should be sized to carry a load, not just made big for the HVAC installer. Ideally you would work with them on ductwork layout and sizing, then work that into the structure.

I imagine a better understanding of framing would also help.

I do understand the Manual J, S, T, and D, and the truss/joist sizes vs. spans.  My problem is I am trying to account for all of this before I turn it over to the architect, in the hopes that I will not have to make big changes once the architect takes over.  In addition to this, the basement went deeper than normal in order to get the front of the house higher.  (I know that sounds wrong, but it allows me to meet grade in the back and front and thus makes the driveway less steep.)   Of course, this causes the stairway to take up more length.

The stairs will run parallel to the floor joist up until when they turn at the bottom.  They are up against an outside after they turn so I suppose I could put in another footing/wall and run the deeper joists to that wall, then span the 4' over the stairway with "shallower" joists.  Lots of trade-offs.  I'm just trying to get it all drawn up so that when the architect takes it over I don't end up having to do a full redesign because of neglecting to account for the 80" head clearance. 

Regarding the codes:
As it is, the town has adopted these two codes.  I assume the more stringent one is the one that applies unless they have another code book, that states the order of precedence, that I have not yet found.

2012 IBC 1009.7.2 Riser height and tread depth. Stair riser heights shall be 7 inches (178 mm) maximum and 4 inches (102 mm) minimum. Edited to ask:  Is this the riser itself that shall be a max of 7 inches, without measuring the thickness of the tread?

2012 IRC R311.5.3.1 Riser height. The maximum riser height shall be 7 3⁄4 inches (196 mm). The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads.
Edited to ask:  I wonder if these two standards are saying the same thing.  The bottom one is adding 3/4" to the equation by adding in the tread thickness?

I have read the codes with regards to the winders and the 10" depth needed 12" in from the "point" and using the tan function calculated I'll only be able to squeeze two steps, not three, on a winder landing.

Emailed the city.  I think the IRC is for residential. If so, and I can use 7 3/4" rise, that will help immensely.