Resizing an entire plan

sharevari

I have just run into a problem very similar to ScottR's in this post:

I've been tracing out our entire office, with walls, internal doors, external and internal windows, the lot. Unfortunately I only just now realised that I made a mistake in the beginning and that the scale is not quite right. A wall that in real life is 7.90m long is only 6.90m long in my plan. So I'm looking for a way to just scale the entire plan up.

In one reply to Scott's post above, RobynKS describes a way of doing this by choosing some direction arrows that should appear when selecting an exterior wall, but no such arrows appear for me. Is it a feature of a more expensive version? If I just drag an exterior wall outwards, it does also extend the interior walls perpendicular to it, but no interior scaling is happening.

Just to give you some context, I'm attaching a screenshot of the plan as it stands. Do I really have to redraw the entire thing just to change the scale?

Thanks

---

Chief Architect Home Designer Interiors

Version 2008

Build 19.3.0.49OSX

Mac

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.20.35.png

1 hour ago, sharevari said:

know it's my mistake to begin with but "no way to scale a plan in any CA product"? That is surprising to say the least, for software that costs several thousand dollars.

Eric meant and what is real is that the size of the virtual model in the software is at "Real World Scale"  (1' = 1'). Of course when you send a view to a layout so it will print on a page of paper, it must be scaled down from "real world" scale to a scale that will fit on the intended paper. That can be done in any Home Designer or Chief Architect software.

I believe you want to simply downsize the square footage of your structure (not really scale it down but just make it smaller), that can be done by moving the walls to a smaller dimension as Eric indicated (THAT IS WHAT HE MEANT). 

So you are NOT SCALING down the plan but merely resizing it (scaling is not actually what I believe you meant to originally communicate). Scaling can mean "to make smaller so as to fit on a smaller graphic communication media, what I believe you meant is to make the square footage of the structure smaller. Verbal communication is often a source of confusion.

No Architectural software on Earth that I know of can scale an entire structure down, concentrically as you seem to want to do and if you think about it in detail you would not even want to do such a thing as appliances, furniture and fixtures are not capable of being concentrically resized either, virtual or real.

DJP

Thanks David, good points.

I was surprised since most of the common design tools we use on computers support this with a simple Ctrl-A + edge drag. I guess with architecture it's slightly different.

For sure, I wanted to downsize the square footage, but I wanted all internal walls, doors and windows to scale proportionately. Not just resize the outer left wall to have a very narrow room on the right but all other rooms still the same sizes. In other design tools, there is often even an option to scale the length of a line (read wall) without affecting its thickness. That would have been the perfect solution here, even though the exact thickness of walls isn't of concern to me, as I'm using this just for interior design.

And you're right, I would not have wanted appliances, and furniture to scale down with it, only the building's skeleton. It is exactly because furniture currently occupies a bit more space than it would do in real life that I discovered I had the building's scale wrong!

But I have decided to redraw the whole thing now.

Thanks.