Box out Chimney

DIYAdam

Hello DIY users

I'm trying to create a box out style chimney that extends thru the gable roof line and can't seem to get the walls to work. There seems to be some conflict between the gable roof and possibly a attic wall. I tried the soffit  technique but it worked but, it didn't show the framing in floor plan view.

Capture4.thumb.JPG.a24d4dfd4798cc9eb882bd4cfd78e349.JPG

Capture3.thumb.JPG.32ff7732b77776d412c94568c435c5d1.JPG

Ok.. I have move back the roof planes to where they do not interfere with the walls below but no visible wall.

Capture5.thumb.JPG.3fb3fe3fbb65b66689048b925b9bc5a3.JPG

When I select the area where there is no wall the selection preview shows the wall at full height of the other walls so there I must have some thing still conflicting.

Capture8.thumb.JPG.aaa20691d8952968e76fb97fc6fd6070.JPGCapture6.thumb.JPG.c20c2a06629aa66bad77da59fdb5c7f7.JPG

and for a off subject question whats the best way to upload screen shots I have been using the snipping tool saving them then drag to the forum upload tool?

Alright success...   what I did was go in to the "living" room definition uncheck ceiling over this room and the rebuild was successful however there needs to be some siding above the shingles the software is still treating the wall as a interior wall type... probably because I created the wall that way now just need to have some help changing the area above the roof.

10.thumb.jpg.67a5e79a87ef34bc5287e2830f303726.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm struggling with this as well.

There are many components of what has already been discussed that I understand.

1) I understand that you need to create a "room" and have the ceiling height rise above the roof line

2) I understand how to modify the roof plane so that it goes around the 4 "walls" of the chimney

3) I understand how to reverse wall layers and how to use "lower wall type if split by a butted roof"

Somehow I can't put it all together.

I'm wondering if it has to do with how I'm drawing my walls initially?

I've tried the following:

1) Had my main structure first, then tried to make the chimney "box" with three exterior walls abutted to the main structure (and adding "breaks" to the main wall)

2) Created a 4 wall structure away from the main structure and move it up next to the the house

3) Create a "hole" in the main structure and moved a 4 wall box into the hole.

Nothing seems to be working.

The odd thing is that I think I actually got it to work once.  Not sure what I did.