Merging files into a master plan

serg1964

Hi everyone.

I'm working on a design in a big lot with 5 structures in it. I separately finish all 5 structure in 5 different files (all 5 buildings are 2 story) Now I need to bring all 5 buildings into a single plan.

Currently working with Home Designer architectural 2018. I was able to copy/paste but it only pastes 1st floor. Any way to import each structure complete with fixtures, furniture, etc into a master plan? thank you in advance.

Architectural doesn't offer that feature, so you have to take a longer way around.

Use the 'edit area' tool to copy and paste the 1st floor level into the master plan.

THEN use the 'edit area' tool to select and copy the 2nd floor (ON the 2nd floor).

In the master plan, (2nd floor level) use the paste/hold position function.

Yep, my bad. I forget, excepting Pro, how limited the software is.

The problem will probably be that you are moving from multiple plans into one, so you will likely end up placing one structure on top of another. 

I looked at my trial of Architectural and it seems the only way to move an entire structure from one place to another easily is with dimensions. Drawing 2 CAD lines marking a corner of where you want to move to, placing a dimension line from the line to a wall, selecting the structure, then changing the dimension to 0. Turn off the display of roof planes to make this easier.

Doing what you want to do only in Architectural would drive me batty. You are better off in this case upgrading to Home Designer Pro to finish your project. Pro has "Edit-Edit Area All Floors" like you need. Architectural does not. Pay the extra money and do yourself a big favor! Your .plan file will open and edit in Pro so no time will be lost.

DJP

I got all first floors of 5 buildings in the master plan now.

Went back to second floor of one of the buildings, went to edit area and and copied second floor. Went to master plan and copy, Edit, and paste holding position. it brings it to the master plan but in a random location. How do I make it go on top of the first floor of the building I want it to go?

If you moved the 1st floor plan after pasting into the new plan, the 2nd floor will not match.

A plan is based on a coordinate system. The floors relate to each other based on coordinates within your specific plan.

Floors are not connected in any way.

Your master plan plot and each bldg. plot need to match.  The building in each file should be moved to it's desired location on it's own plot before you copy/paste hold position onto the master plot.  The bldg. will then be pasted into the master plan at the same location that it was in on it's own individual plot. This is what solver is explaining.

And as DJP said, this might drive you batty...

3 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

And as DJP said, this might drive you batty.

I would not even attempt to do what you intend in Architectural. You will have to copy-paste each floor of each structure and then precisely align them, one to another. Then, even with Pro or Chief if your terrain plan is something other than flat,  you will then have to adjust each building to the terrain as it changes height. It is very exacting work however you decide to do it. I have done multi-structure projects before so I know what I am talking about. Upgrade to Pro and even then be very careful and operate with plan copies so if you make an error, you have something to fall back on and start again.

DJP

That is exactly what happened. I dropped  the first floor of all building on the master plan (with a decreasing slop of 22 feet in the back of the lot)

the front two buildings at the front of the lot (located one next to the other) are perfectly on the ground, from there towards  the back of the lot,  all building are suspended in the air. No way to solve this on architectural 2018?

lot plan.PNG