Changing Floor Joists Type

DIYAdam

Hello,

I have a situation where in need to change the floor joists type from I Joists to Lumber 2X10" to match the existing house. Some of the steps I have taken are.

1. I went to the default settings -> Framing  then clicked Edit and under both Subfloor  Floor -1 and Floor -2 I changed the Joist type to lumber but the cross section doesn't show lumber still shows I joists.

2. I can click on each individual Joists and change it to lumber and then is displays correctly. I do receive the warning telling me that my "automatic floor ceiling rebuild is turned on would you like to turn it off."

The ideal way is to set the defaults first, then draw.

Setting the defaults afterwards requires that you force a rebuild of 1st floor, floor framing by rebuilding the foundation.

You should check, and leave checked, Automatically Rebuild Foundation.

If you have a 2nd floor already built and wish to change, change the structure here and check rebuild.

ht1.thumb.jpg.2e41fdbdd281f1b3307203671bbb3d02.jpg

This is how the Defaults look on my PC looks like I'm missing some options but I will inquire bout that later.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.b382291f4fcc68ff4e06b0011dccf313.JPG

I deleted and rebuild the foundation but Still No luck on changing the Joist Type :(  I may Just have to redraw the thing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.e6731c556cfde716b2a740d3426bdd32.JPG

• 2 months later...

Maybe this helps, from the help file.

The floor framing for a given floor is always created on the floor below. As such, the floor framing settings for a given floor are found on the Floor panel for the floor below it. For example, the floor framing settings for Floor 2 are found on the 1st panel, while the floor framing settings for Floor 1 are found on theFoundation panel. See Floor and Ceiling Platforms.

In order to create the floor framing for Floor 1, a Floor 0 must be present. If a Floor 0 has not been built, the Build Floor Framing checkbox on the Foundationpanel will not be available.

well that is very confusing, convoluted and just not clear at all.

at 0 its a foundation, sounds spot on - did you look at the model?

at 1 it says floor supplied by the foundation room below

and

monolithic slab

so as far as I am concerned - that is correct 2.

• 3 weeks later...

No and yes, it does not work.  I stated real clear, the first floor is concrete, I do not want the second floor to be concrete - if the assumption is it's a full floor, it comes out as that & can't change it.

It still doesn't work if you follow the instruction of this room over a garage (I started there to begin with before posting the question).