Elevation issues

JamesSym

I am brand new to design and this software. I was able to put my house into the plan  and incorporate it into the lot size and elevation. (the elevation of the lot drops 5'5" over the total length of 130" length lot).  I built a deck off the back of the house and the deck elevation looked great. I then added the garage  in the backyard as well and all seemed to look great. I then somehow hit a button asking about foundations, (and said the previous changes cannot be saved- which I unfortunately hit). It removed all the elevation on the plot plan, and everything was on the same plane.  I am trying to adjust the slope again but when I do, the garage floats apps 5 feet about the ground (same level as the house on the upper sloped portion of the land)   I tried to delete the garage and start again and the same problem happens and the hose floats. I am sure it must be a setting, but cannot find answers in the data base anywhere. Thanks   Home Design Suite 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 1.32.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 1.33.32 PM.jpg

The program has Undo, so when you change something that results in an unwanted action, just undo.

Everyone wants to describe what went wrong, instead of saying what is correct, so I'll guess the garage is supposed to be lower.

If so, open the garage room and change the Floor setting to something less than 0".

And it's a good idea to check Automatically Rebuild Foundation in the Build Foundation dialog, and leave it checked, so you will be able to see problems as they arise.

Sorry if these questions are basic, but I am trying to learn as I go and can find the solutions. I tried  the suggestions, watched several videos and reviewed the manuals, but still having the same issue.  Anytime I make changes to the garage, the same (elevation)  changes re made to the main house (and vice verse).  Can I separate the two of them so they have different foundations? (if I highlight the garage and reduce the floor height, the garage foundation rises and sinks according)   I tried highlighting  them separately and appears they are separate entities,  but whatever I do to one of the structures, it effects the other one.  

Set your terrain elevation 1st.   If you have 12" of foundation showing above ground at the front of the house, then set the terrain perimeter to 24" (floor structure accounts for the extra 12").
Choose the Elevation Region tool, and draw an oversized shallow region (prevents jagged terrain edges) at the front of the house, set to 0" (the ground region is 0", as opposed to the house floor set to it's own 0").

Choose the Elevation Region tool again, and draw a shallow region at the back of the property set to -65".

This should give you a nice slope.  You might need to open the house basement dbx (floor 0), and make the stem wall taller in order to bury the footer.

When you have done this, and then properly placed the garage, you will be ready to start fixing the garage level  (don't forget to rebuild the foundation under the garage).

Terrain Elevations.JPG

Terrain Elevations 2.JPG

Thank you. I spent about 16 hours entering this data and can't see straight anymore (I am sure someone more experienced would do it quickly), and on a deadline to present some options to my contractor tmrw morning re elevation/ deck designs etc...  Can I use the attached file and add elevation without starting from scratch? The elevation is flat  on the front (main house) and gradually slopes down 65" to the back.  The main house has a crawl space underneath  and the guest house is built on a slab. Thanks -James

Main House and Guest House without elevation.plan

I see some problems, now that you have posted the plan.  :o

Your terrain needs to slope, but of course the house doesn't.  Where in relation to the house, does the terrain begin to slope?

I think that you need to delete the terrain perimeter and start over with the terrain.  BUT 1st, draw a cad box exactly like the terrain, on top of the terrain. Set it's line color to red, so that you will know which is which.  Delete the terrain. Build a new terrain.  Grab the terrain lines and move them toward the cad box lines, and they will snap to the cad lines.  This makes it quick.  You can now delete the cad box.

Set the terrain and elevation regions as shown, except set your own 'subfloor above terrain' to 8" (terrain perimeter dbx).

Move the front elevation region line (increase)  towards the house, to make whatever area you need to remain flat.  If the terrain slope begins before the back wall of the house, then it stands to reason that you will have to increase the depth of your crawl space.

No, the ground is a very gradual slope from the exact front of the house to the very  back of the yard. And no the ground does not mound up around the wall...I am sure I must have hit a button that made that happen too....ugh.  Trying to follow your instructions again now.  Thanks so much for taking the time to help. 

Big problem with the garage.  Because the terrain is still sloping, a 4" slab isn't going to cut the mustard.  The program refuses to allow the stem wall increase, without also dropping the floor.  I changed the 'garage' to 'unspecified', then deleted the slab on level 0. I then manually drew foundation walls under the structure, and this allowed me to open the 'room' dbx, and change the stem wall to 24" (the minimum I could do to keep it below ground). 

Terrain Elevations 3.JPG

Thanks you both..... going back through all your notes and making sure I follow everything. Do I still need to uncheck "automatic" (I will put in 8' there as you suggested), and also uncheck "flatten Pad" and Hide Terrain Intersected by Building'?. Its like learning a new language....