Wrap around porch questions

long88

Yes, download the catalogs for your version.

When you build a room and name it porch or slab the floor will be 20 1/2" from the terrain, you just raise floor (C) 1 1/2" to get 22"

Use boxes for the porch fill, if you use wall (s) it will not paint the top of the wall.

Draw a wall to create the garage and rename that room to Garage.

Delete the dormer and build a blank second floor, then build a room where the dormer was, lower that room to 0"

In the picture, the back porch door sits about 5" above the porch floor, lower the porch floor or raise the main house floor.

Use a terrain feature for the patio, if you use a roof for the patio, it's going to create problems.

Do a plan check, click tools>plan check.

20 hours ago, LawB10 said:

Yes, download the catalogs for your version.

My program says the library is uptodate but I am still missing those components.  Also, the gable on the front (the highest one) is messed when I open the file.  I don't know why or how to fix it but it doesn't reflect what you put in your screenshot.

20 hours ago, LawB10 said:

When you build a room and name it porch or slab the floor will be 20 1/2" from the terrain, you just raise floor (C) 1 1/2" to get 22"

Use boxes for the porch fill, if you use wall (s) it will not paint the top of the wall.

Draw a wall to create the garage and rename that room to Garage.

Delete the dormer and build a blank second floor, then build a room where the dormer was, lower that room to 0"

In the picture, the back porch door sits about 5" above the porch floor, lower the porch floor or raise the main house floor.

Use a terrain feature for the patio, if you use a roof for the patio, it's going to create problems.

Do a plan check, click tools>plan check.

I'm not clear about all of this.  Are you saying I need to do this or I just need to if I'm going to do certain things at this point to the plan?

One idea I have for the patio cover is to make a gable (A) that ties into the side of the house and the wrap around porch/shed roof.  Not sure how this would work until I verify the dimensions are right in the plan. I'm not sure how deep I want the gable to be (in other words how many feet I want it to stick out from the side of the house).  At least as far as the shed roof but maybe several feet more.  I would need to see it.  Then I want a flat round patio roof (B) with columns.  I'm attaching some rough sketches.  Also a picture of a round flat roof I found online. I am considering keeping the tree and putting a hole through the roof (see pic).  If I go this route I may put a pie shaped section in the curved roof to see some of the tree.  Plus I think the tree will hang over in places.  The tree is very messy and I have mixed feelings about whether to work with it (meaning I have to protect as much as I can from it's mess) or get rid of it altogether.  I still need cover though because of the Texas hot sun.

Another option I've thought about is like the arched cover pic.  I would want it out of solid material for the roof (I've seen metal curved arches).  I would either have to get rid of the tree or have the structure flush and attached to the side of the house somehow. 

Also, just a note there is a small patio section off to the side with a hottub that I need to add in.  I don't plan to cover this.  It is far enough from the tree is is never too messy and we like to see the stars at night.

What you've done is so much help! I can't thank you enough.  I only got the program for this project and it is much harder to do the exteriors than it was the interiors (which I did before we built this house).

Roof.jpg

flat circular roof.jpg

tree through patio roof.jpg

arched cover.jpg

20180111_131335.jpg

20180115_160627.jpg

20180115_160621.jpg

13 minutes ago, long88 said:

My program says the library is uptodate but I am still missing those components.

I imagine you need some of the Bonus Catalogs. They need to be manually downloaded and installed.

17 minutes ago, long88 said:

I will encourage you to move the terrain and not the floor. The program is designed so that dimensions are relative to the floor 1 floor.

19 minutes ago, long88 said:

I still need cover though because of the Texas hot sun

Curious where in Texas. Native Texan here -- Houston then Austin. 

1 minute ago, solver said:

I imagine you need some of the Bonus Catalogs. They need to be manually downloaded and installed.

I will encourage you to move the terrain and not the floor. The program is designed so that dimensions are relative to the floor 1 floor.

Curious where in Texas. Native Texan here -- Houston then Austin. 

I tried to find bonus catalogs but came up emtpy.  Will look again.

Not sure why I need to move anything now that it appears to be ok??

I'm west of DFW about 75 mi.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be too hard for me to accomplish in this program with the time and skill level I have.  I am pretty computer savy but I don't really have the time to invest right now.  I may just opt for pen and paper!  I just was having trouble seeing what I wanted built but I'm started to get an idea.  I'm very visual and seeing it 3d and in proportion would have been a help.

You all have already been more help than one can expect.

I'm not sure what happened, it you haven't fixed it yet, upload the plan as is.

Click on the porch and move the box shape out of the way, then go to the foundation click the reference tool and draw the walls for porch

change the walls to 8" concrete stem walls, in 3d view paint the walls to see what I mean.

For the Garage you have to create the room and name it as such, Garages, Porches, Slabs and Decks build differently than Kitchens and Baths.

The plan check identifies problems that need fixing. You do that after you finished building the house.

Daltile, James Hardie etc. are the names of the catalogs that has the materials in them.

2 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Getting results that look good take time, diligence, and a learning curve.
If visuals are all that you want, here are two.

Long88 house with flat patio roof.JPG

Long88 house with patio roof.JPG

Jo_Ann why haven't you explained how to do that? The Images look great as always, but for this build that's not going to help Long88.

14 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Getting results that look good take time, diligence, and a learning curve.
If visuals are all that you want, here are two.

Long88 house with flat patio roof.JPG

Long88 house with patio roof.JPG

Those are along the lines of what I'm thinking...Not sure which one I like best.  The hole needs to be smaller in the first roof (probably 5' diameter...the diameter of the open hole around the tree is 7'.  I don't want stuff falling through too much.  That defeats the purpose.   Also, I want the new gable to be wider, coming over and connecting to the wrap around patio shed roof (or the shed roof may need to come of to it  a few feet, too, in reality)   The flat roof would not be shingled. BTW, the wrap around shed roof is not hipped, it is a gable.

Did you save the files?  I would like downloading them and being able to look at different views.

You guys are so helpful.  I can't say thank you enough.  It would take me weeks to get this far along.

Suite will not open Architectural files, unless you download the free trial.

I suggest that you open a new experimental plan, and start playing with the manipulation of slabs (slab tool, not a 'room' labeled as a 'slab').

The patio floor is made from multiple slabs.  In this example of a flat roof (only a flat roof with a slab) the slab is elevated way above the patio floor.

The 'hole' in this example, is 7'.  The slab can not join with it's other half, to maintain the 'hole'.  So, a carefully placed soffit (shown in red) has been added to close the visual gap.

Long88 house with flat patio roof slabs.JPG

Joann,

Could you make the gable that is above the flat roof wider and make the wrap around shed roof a gable and run them into each other?  Then could you possibly upload the file so I can open it and look at it, even though I won't be able to edit it?

If not, I understand.

TY

5 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Suite will not open Architectural files, unless you download the free trial.

I suggest that you open a new experimental plan, and start playing with the manipulation of slabs (slab tool, not a 'room' labeled as a 'slab').

The patio floor is made from multiple slabs.  In this example of a flat roof (only a flat roof with a slab) the slab is elevated way above the patio floor.

The 'hole' in this example, is 7'.  The slab can not join with it's other half, to maintain the 'hole'.  So, a carefully placed soffit (shown in red) has been added to close the visual gap.

Long88 house with flat patio roof slabs.JPG

In Suite you make the room a slab, then lower the floor to -15 or so, make all the walls a 1/4" pitch to get the flat roof.

To make a complete circle, go to the second floor and click on the curved wall tool, draw the curve until it stops, then use the break wall tool

to break a section of the wall and drag that section to complete the circle.

circle.thumb.png.4192baa30535eb87ddbe2a65b30c77b5.pngcircle.plan

We have decided to go with an arch instead of a circular flat roof.  Something like this pergola but attached to the house and with a metal roof.

I would like to take one of the files we've used in this thread and add that to it but I"m having trouble figuring out how.  THe one LawB10 uploaded is the most complete but again I don't know how to add this for the roof. (Tree still coming through if possible.) 

I hate to ask as ya'll have done so much already but could someone help me out here and share the file with me? Or tell me what to do.

If not no problem.

TY

arched cover.jpg