Different elevations for house and garage

danobrien

Very very worn out trying to get this thing to work. I've got a house on a downslope.  I built the house with an attached but slightly offset garage. Many hours building it. Everything was OK until I tried to lower the house 18 inches relative to the garage.  (The garage slab is at the same level as the top floor, and the house sits behind (attached) and  down the slope, beginning with an 18 inch step-down into the top floor in the house).  I am not having trouble lowering the floors --- the trouble is with the roof, which seems to behave randomly.  It's a gable roof on the garage and house with the gables in the same direction--simple.  The garage has some interior rooms in the back that run into the house.  Everytime I step the house down 18 inches (or step the garage up 18 inches) the roof gets completely messed up.  Walls in the back of the garage creep up through the roof, and the roof line distorts.

What is the proper way to lower the house relative to the garage?  I obviously am not following the right procedures, and it's all in the way the roof and walls behave when the house is lowered relative to the garage or the garage is raised relative to the house.

Thanks,

My software is Home Designer Architectural

I've attached two files of the upper floor only and with the interior design stripped out.  temp1 is before dropping the elevation of the house.  temp2 is after dropping.  You can see what happens to the roofline and also that wall that jumps up between the overhangs.

Best,

Dan

temp1.plan

temp2.plan

Here is a more informative message with a picture.  Appreciate any help, and I'll try to smile :)

Home Design Architectural is the software.

Procedure:

1. Draw the attached plan.

2. Raise the garage 2 feet (changing the floor height in the garage [which is on the upper level] and then putting back the default ceiling height).

Problem: The roof distorts no matter what I try.  In this version, I used the automatic roof.  I have also drawn the design without a roof, adjusting relative heights before adding the roof.  I've done it with auto rebuild roofs and with the gable roof line tool.  The auto rebuild roof tool generates the roof you see here.  The gable roof line tool creates similar but slightly different problems.

The roof draws fine with either auto rebuild roofs or the gable roofline tool when when the garage and house are the same height.  It is the change in height that creates the problems.  I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities in my brain.  There must be some trick that I am just not seeing.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

5a45748156161_Badroofview1.thumb.jpg.78482494c49a8d64bfbd0494c54d2f87.jpg5a4574824cf35_Badroofview2.thumb.jpg.951b87ab91fb4b5ff5ef03b0f70d2522.jpg

You have to separate the garage from the house (pic 3).

Use a dividing wall (shown as hatched), set as 'gable', overhang set to 1".   Open the opposing house wall and set the overhang to 1".  The green dashed lines are the roof planes, and they can not intersect each other.  Zoom in close and begin moving the entire garage wall as close as you can get, without intersecting those roof planes (pic 4).

Any missing attic walls will need to be patched with wedges or soffits. If you want an overhang, you will have to fudge it with various sloped soffits.
Your east attic wall on the family room needs to be aligned with the wall below.

clbpdx house.JPG

clbpdx house 2.JPG

clbpdx house 3.JPG

clbpdx house 4.JPG

• Upvote 1

Jo Ann,  you are right -- I looked too quickly and thought that he had lowered the house relative to the garage, but I see that their floors are at the same levels.  In the mean time, I tried your method with a sample and it works.  I don't know about patching with wedges or soffits -- need to learn that.  I'll probably experiment some more, then break the garage away, rebuild it, raise it, and move it to the house with your method.  Thanks for the help.

Dan

That's why I asked the question...further the house was built on the second floor, not the first floor.

When you build floors all the ceiling heights are the same, unless you change them.

If you lower the ceiling height, the roof will be lowered also.

I could not tell what the roof is suppose to look like, an actual picture would have been more helpful.

With the Garage you change ceiling (B) not F to get the height you want.

Here's what I came up with,

Built a second floor over the family room, made that open below, lowered the first floor family room to 93" ceiling (F) and the second floor to 0"

Raised the Garage ceiling to 111" Ceiling B.

5a47fb8362d96_temp1-1.thumb.png.76e9c4e255d1bd59250b7311b600f5fe.png5a47fba74a83b_temp1-2.thumb.png.84fe6493bd2b29ad63174b9d66c55c63.pngtemp-1.plan

• Downvote 1

On 12/29/2017 at 0:10 AM, Jo_Ann said:

You have to separate the garage from the house (pic 3).

Use a dividing wall (shown as hatched), set as 'gable', overhang set to 1".   Open the opposing house wall and set the overhang to 1".  The green dashed lines are the roof planes, and they can not intersect each other.  Zoom in close and begin moving the entire garage wall as close as you can get, without intersecting those roof planes (pic 4).

Any missing attic walls will need to be patched with wedges or soffits. If you want an overhang, you will have to fudge it with various sloped soffits.
Your east attic wall on the family room needs to be aligned with the wall below.

Dear Jo_Ann,

Do you know if the professional version of Home Designer handles this better than Architectural?