timber stairs ?

MJNMJN

I'm using pro 10
Hello again, I'm trying to put the following staircase into a large open finished barn.  I've been trying, but need some teaching aids.  
1.Looking for clues how to make 2 -  6 x 14 timber stringers go to a landing then dog leg back to the next floor. (Dog leg = turns back on it's self , 180 degrees)
2.Landing 4' x 8' +- will be free standing at about mid point, supported by 6x6 rough timber  that go through to next floor and become part of the balcony rail system, the        hand rails will connect to these timbers.
   The program makes the newels stop at landing at present and creates a free floating platform.  
3. Second floor at 142.5"  ,    floor 18.5" thick 
4..Treads to be 3.5" x 12" x 42"  no risers
5.. Balustrade will have upper and lower rails 2x6 on edge  with 1/2" plate glass panels.
6. Newels are 6x6 rough timber . 

Thanks for any help  
mjn 

Welcome to the forum.

You've chosen an interesting project ... interesting due to its specific requirements in build as you've described, but also because there is no automated tool to provide exactly what you desire.

If I had to model the stairs and railings that you describe, I would probably manually place each member piece by piece; and since you have Pro, you have the tools available to do that.  I would also take advantage of the automated stair tool, as a front-runner in information gathering ... to get the some of the dimensions and elevations needed to manually create the same using timbers (e.g., riser heights, landing height, etc.).  Consider how the stairway and stairwell are likely to be built using framing members in the physical world, and then replicate that in the virtual model.

As mentioned, I'd first use the auto stair tool to create a stairway that sketches in the general needs.  Then, when you're ready, use a combination of sloped soffits (for the stringers, railing cap and toe, glass panels), posts and beams for the vertical and horizontal members respectively.  You'll need to pay close attention to each framing member's specification dialogs and settings therein.  Also be familiar with the use of the back-clipped camera and the transform/replicate tool; both of these will help the work progress quicker.

Pay attention to details, and have patience.  Your software has the ability to model the stairs you want using manual tools ... and you should too.

Good luck. :)