Garage with two second floor levels

wrenchmaster

I'm trying to figure out how to create a 28 x 48 garage with a 12' wide stall with 12' ceiling and remainder with 10' ceilings.

The area above the 10' ceiling are to be a room above. I also want the exterior wall height to be 14' with the top plate level all around. Then I will have an 8:12 pitch roof.

How do I get the ceiling joist to 12 and the second floor joists at different levels?

DRAWING.pdf

Draw the first floor and place a wall dividing the 2 sections.

Change the ceiling heights.

Build a 2nd floor. Make sure to select Step floor/ceiling.

ht1.thumb.jpg.c0a4b213946463a6d086cdf357c6a292.jpg

Accept the defaults on the next dialog.

You will have 2 rooms, just like on the first floor. Lower the ceilings in them by changing the absolute ceiling height to 14'.

You may need to change the floor structure on the 2nd floor if you are spanning the 28'.

22 hours ago, solver said:

Draw the first floor and place a wall dividing the 2 sections.

Eric meant an "Invisible Wall" not a visible wall per se. That is necessary for 3D modeling purposes: one space so created can then have a different ceiling height from the other invisible wall divided space.

DJP

Were you able to build the model using my instructions?

If I remember correctly, your house is a dutch colonial. Have you considered using a gambrel roof on the shop building?

Are you incorporating the existing garage, or will this be a standalone structure?

Quick idea.

ht1.thumb.jpg.7ad7f61edce8adddd11bc87bd1df30be.jpg