Combining custom made base and full cabinet as one?

ChiefDreams

Iam building custom closet cabinets.  I had a full height cabinet w 6 adjustable shelves.  So basically a shelving "unit",  w a 4" tall kick, recessed 3/4".  The problem I had was I wanted the base that the side of the cabinet sat on to be extended out from the total depth of 16" ( wall to front edge of the sides ) out to 17 1/2", for the base (wall to front edge of base).   I couldn't get it to do that.  I also couldn't get it to let me set the shelves to have a total depth of 15 7/8",  but thats another story.  So I created a whole separate base cabinet thats 4" tall and a "counter top" of 3/4" tall for a total of 4 3/4"from floor to top ( the "counter top" of the base unit is 17 1/2" from wall to front edge).  Then I sat the "shelving unit" on top of the base cabinet.  This gives me basically the bottom shelf of the shelving unit to be extended out 1 1/2" from the face of the shelving unit.  This way the front edge of the sides of the unit will be trimmed out w 3/4" poplar and still have a 3/4" revel.  I hope this makes sense.  

My quetions:

1. Can I combine these two cabinets into one unit and save it as a single unit in my library? 
  2. Is there a different way to start off w one unit and extend just to bottom shelf out from the face?
  3. How can I make the unit only 16" deep sides ( there is no back to the cabinet of shelves, the wall is the back)  but w 15 7/8" shelves?

32%22 base.calibz

32%22 Shelving Unit.calibz

Chief Dreams,

I think I understand what you're trying to do.  The lip at the bottom of the cabinet can be achieved by applying a base molding at 4" from the bottom (see capture1)

Make sure to set your profile to reflect the thickness of the first shelf and a width of 1 1/2" to make your total depth of that shelf 17 1/2".

As for setting the shelves to a 15 7/8" depth, it seems the closest you can get in the "shelf specs" dialogue is 15 1/4".  Maybe that one can go to CA as a suggestion for the next update?

Capture1.PNG

Solver-  thank you I will work on updating my profile to reflect your suggestions. Also I tried to add the pics but it didn’t work like I would have liked, but I will work on it.

Apple Walker- Yes that is what I am trying to do.  I will try that change later this week.  Thank you guys for the help.