Disappearing Soffit

tpalmertree

Hey guys and gals,

I have HD Pro 2017.  I am having problems putting soffits over 1/2 walls or "railings".  As you can see in the pictures, the soffit piece disappears when it gets over the 1/2 wall.  In the first example I am trying to put a post on top of a 1/2 wall on my porch.  I have used a soffit for the post.  Some of the posts are fine, and some display as only parts of themselves.  I have this problem in several areas of my current project, but another easy example is a piece of flashing above the porch roof.  It also disappears once it reaches the half wall.  I have selected the items, so you can see how big they actually are.  The flashing was dragged excessively far, to make it easier to see.  

Thanks

5a1c126a3c971_porchplan.thumb.jpg.becef744778d01ad4601589193361128.jpgporch.thumb.jpg.a272b9523f5c0e3ea58b5f7f073b3431.jpg

5a1c126b69ac5_flashingplan.thumb.jpg.23959580933dc8dffe3d833c2fefd7f4.jpgflashing.thumb.jpg.dbe6c9832f720f555db7e261c930b561.jpg

In terms of plan view, solid objects like soffits tend to resist moving into the plan view space of another "solid" object like a wall. In order to overcome this preprogrammed behavior, you simply depress the "Control Key" on your keyboard (CTRL Key) to override this behavior to then drag the soffit into the orientation you desire.

In order to have a floor plan visual of the post you can use a 2D, square, poly-line to show where the soffit is in plan view or do what I prefer is to use a custom slab, reshaped to the dimensions of your intended post. 2D objects converted to 3D objects do not "bump" into other solid objects and they show up better in plan view.

DJP

Thanks David.  Thats how I got the objects where they are, by using the control key. However if you look at the pictures you can see they are in place, but not appearing over the half walls.  Sorry If I wasnt clear before.  The objects are selected so you can see the outline of what should be there.  

56 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

In order to have a floor plan visual of the post you can use a 2D, square, poly-line to show where the soffit is in plan view or do what I prefer is to use a custom slab, reshaped to the dimensions of your intended post. 2D objects converted to 3D objects do not "bump" into other solid objects and they show up better in plan view.

I think this answers your question as to floor plan appearance, Using custom slabs for posts will display better in plan view than soffits.

DJP