Need a bit more roof help

dmacgregor

Do a 'save as' on your plan, and give it a new name, such as 'skeleton plan'.  You can then make experimental changes on this plan while keeping your original plan intact.

I have already seen this house pic before, but you do not explain what you are trying to change it to.

Thanks for the tip but I would prefer to work on a smaller or simpler version of my plan. I also helps me learn faster because I can follow the progression of my steps.

The full plan contains elements which I have yet to fully understand.

Now, if you look at the rear of the house, the left side of the roof over what I have indicated as the Studio needs to be continued all the  way to the front of the house

as is shown in the photograph. Please note that the photograph is the current state of the house without the garage and with a dog run where the studio will go.

My plan make it look like some opened up the front of that roof with a can opener and I can't make it match the plane of the studio roof. It did before I put in the garage roof.

See the attached pictures.

Thanks for your help.

Roof Test #2 Annotated Front.jpg

Roof Test #2 Annotated Rear.jpg

Do you see the current roof line of the roof over the entrance?

It stays that way.

The garage is built right next to it with 2 gable ends.

The overhang of the entrance roof will be trimmed back to the exterior wall - in other words no overhang.That roof will meet one of the gable ends of the garage.

The studio roof will be a continuation of the roof over the entrance - same pitch (look at the picture with the red circles of the back of the house).

The ridge line of the studio roof will actually be the continuation of the ridge line of the entrance roof where it meets the side of the house on the 2nd floor.

You almost had it right both times but in the first one you changed the pitch of the entrance roof and in both you did not have 2 gable ends for the garage.

Here's a plan without the garage.

I will try and build the garage.

Roof Test B.plan

19 hours ago, LawB10 said:

I think this is what he's trying to do...You have to delete the second floor garage and resize the studio.

59f509e424704_roofCapture.thumb.PNG.c443658b302caef28e6a49de612e1c12.PNGCaptureroof1.thumb.PNG.203d488b304aa64d4650269081d46a96.PNG

Now that I look at your design, I am beginning to like it.

You see my main concern was in losing the entrance roof. I re-shingled it only 2 years ago and it cost me $1,000.

Jo-Ann got it right. Hers was exactly the design I was going  for.

Now I realize that the overhang would have to be trimmed back and the gable end touching it would need to be sheathed and sided before installation

and it would require some flashing as well.

It looks kind of funky but I have never been one to shy away from radical designs.

But your design, if I am reading it right, lets me keep that entrance roof and just "over-truss" it.

It makes the roof over the Studio make more sense.

If you still have that design I would love to see the plan file for it.

I am getting a bit more comfortable with roof design after viewing more tutorials.

When you said "resize the studio" to what were you referring? The foundation is already there "dog run" and it is 11' X 11'.

Entrance is 6' X 16' and the garage is 24' X 24'.

Doug

1 hour ago, dmacgregor said:

Jo-Ann got it right. Hers was exactly the design I was going  for.

Right or wrong, that design is bad architecture, it unecessarily creates a huge "Dead Valley" between the garage and entry which is bound to become a leaky roof at some point. In any case, you may have noticed that Jo Ann has been using a copy of Home Designer Pro trial software. Home Designer Suite is not capable of the roof design you seem to want to have. You will need to upgrade to Home Designer Pro and then learn its manual roof tools to get this design work done IMHO.

DJP

34 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Right or wrong, that design is bad architecture, it unecessarily creates a huge "Dead Valley" between the garage and entry which is bound to become a leaky roof at some point. In any case, you may have noticed that Jo Ann has been using a copy of Home Designer Pro trial software. Home Designer Suite is not capable of the roof design you seem to want to have. You will need to upgrade to Home Designer Pro and then learn its manual roof tools to get this design work done IMHO.

DJP

Thank you for your opinion David. It is appreciated.

Doug

I figured you were trying to save the expense of having to redo a fairly new roof, but it is what it is.  A reputable architect or contractor would not build a roof like that (with the lower end of the shed roof eave butting up against a vertical wall).  That is what DJP explains to you (bad architecture).  Solver's idea for the front looks REALLY good, and might even cost less  (not having to add that valley, and the compound rafter cuts required for over the door).  Maybe an extended porch roof over only the entry door and porch area, instead of the whole length of the garage. Get an estimate and compare, before you dismiss the idea.

Anyway, here are the two versions to look at.

roof test D samples.plan

That's right Jo-Ann. But for a $50k-70K project it's not worth the price of a bad design.

The one on the right looks much better.

I'm beginning to understand the steps you took to create it although Suites probably can't do that.

I'll try to incorporate your ideas into my original plan and if Suites can't do it, so be it.

An extended porch roof over only the entry door and porch might be a good idea. We'll study it.

Good thought tho'.

The whole exercise is to give our draftsman a rough idea of what were going for.

We want to go for trusses if we can. We lose out on the garage overhead storage but I understand it's also cheaper.

Thanks very much for your time and ideas They are very helpful

Cheers

Doug

Yes, you can do this in Suite.   The samples were not done in the Pro trial (which is not savable), but in my Architectural 10 version using the same roof tools that Suite also has.

Suite 2018 tools are much updated from mine, so it should be even easier.