Split Roof Pitch & Vaulted Ceiling

chadkee

I need help getting the roof correct and the two story room.  We have a cabin that is a rectangle as shown on the plans.  the house has a roof located directly on top of the first floor walls.  The pitch is 12/12.  The right side of the house that says family room is a vaulted ceiling.  I first would love to know how to make it vaulted and remove the floor.

The second issue is that I am wanting to raise the roof on the back of the house across the bedroom and bathroom so that we have a full height room to the edge of the house.  It will basically appear like a large shed roof dormer.  I am also wanting to do the same thing for the bunk room on the front of the house.  Please help me.  

243 Huckleberry Lane Master & Loft.plan

5 minutes ago, chadkee said:

I first would love to know how to make it vaulted and remove the floor.

Remove the ceiling?

If there is a floor above (not attic), you need to create an Open Below room on the floor above.

If there is no floor, uncheck Ceiling Over This Room.

It's always good to check the Knowledge Base -- https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/category/167/dormers.html

The entire house is one story with a steep pitch roof.  Half of the house (Family Room) is vaulted and open.  The other half is bedrooms on main floor and in the attic or second floor.   I am trying to figure out how to do this.  I have been reading and testing different ideas from the forums and the knowledge base for the better part of the the last 6 hours

I could not open the file since I run HDPro 2016, but I had a similar situation on a client's house several months back. What I did was go in the room dialog and uncheck ceiling over this room. I believe I had to build the framing for the vault and then do manual ceiling planes to create the look but to also make sure it was built correctly. As far as how the roof is cutting off the ceiling and the wall, the roof baseline is too low. You will have to work the problem backwards to some degree. For instance, the top of your double plates at 9'1-1/8" is where our bearing point is for the rafter. In the dialog box for the roof plane, it will tell you what the vertical height is to the top of the rafter based on the material and pitch so just work it that way. That is the easiest way I have found. 

11 hours ago, chadkee said:

The entire house is one story with a steep pitch roof.  Half of the house (Family Room) is vaulted and open.  The other half is bedrooms on main floor and in the attic or second floor.   I am trying to figure out how to do this.  I have been reading and testing different ideas from the forums and the knowledge base for the better part of the the last 6 hours

The plan you posted has 1 big empty space on floor 1, and bedrooms, bathrooms and family on floor 2.

Is this correct?

It's alot easier to let the software do the work for you. The roof is a simple design.

Here the software was told to ignore the second floor and not to rebuild the roof, that's why your having the issue's.

By default garages, porches, slabs, attic rooms, open below rooms and balconies are exclude from the living area.

Uncheck ignore the second floor and turn auto rebuild roofs On until the roof is how you want it.

Thank you for all the help!  I am very new to using the software.  I am contractor and do a-lot of the designing but simply don't understand the software yet. This is our property that we want to modify and I thought I would use to practice some of these skills.  I will attach a few photos for those of you who have been giving me suggestions so you can see the real house.  Basically a rectangle... Almost 2/3 of the right side is all 2 story room or vaulted room.  The other 1/3 is the bedrooms and bathrooms.  The work I will be doing is to the upper bedroom and the loft next to it.  I will try some of your suggestions and see how it works out.

Thank you

Chad

Kee House 10_17-4.jpg

Kee House 10_17-2.jpg

Kee House 10_17-28.jpg

Kee House 10_17-36.jpg

Because you have HD Pro, and are planning to use it for other designs, you need to learn how to do manual roof planes.  Leave 'auto rebuild roofs' off.

Do what solver said, and also open the structure tab of the family room, and uncheck 'ceiling over this room'.

I can see by comparing the real house pics to the 2d plan, that your roof baseline is not set correctly.  It appears to be much higher.

Once you have those settings fixed, I think the easiest way to put the roof over the bedroom area is by copy/paste of the main roof plane.

After resizing the new roof plane, set it's ridge height to match the main roof (ridge height) and lock it.  Then set the pitch to something lower, like maybe 6/12.

• 2 weeks later...