Roof missing soffit when above a balcony with another roof

AlvarD

Attached is a pic (and the plan) of a problem I'm having with the roofs in the area above a front porch on a corner of a staggered front wall. Automatic roofs will generate a hip roof on the second floor, but I wanted the to extend the second floor hip roof in the most inward portion above the porch, so I did that with the gable line tool. That all worked well, but the automatic roof tool doesn't want to generate a complete roof over the porch, so I had to manually extend the roof over the porch, which also seems to be working at first view.

The problem is that the area under the second floor roof which is above the porch roof gets a gap where there's no boxed eaves or soffit. I've tried countless things but to no avail. Any help would be most appreciated. I generated this plan as a simple example which shows the same problem that my real plan is having. 

roof problem.JPG

ann roof.plan

I think Pro has Make Roof Baseline Polyline. If so, read up on it, as it's a better way to change the shape of the roof -- rather than using the Gable Roof Line.

ht1.thumb.jpg.ce621beb9f144977207af1755232acb1.jpg

The soffit is a problem with the software. Please report to support. 

Try these settings. I used 48", but you should use the actual depth.

ht2.thumb.jpg.4e780aa2fcac572ba00265754c466d48.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for your quick help Eric. The Roof Baseline Polyline worked perfectly! I will report the soffit problem to support.  

LawB10, I don't know which polyline or walls you are referring to, so I could give your solution a try, but thanks for responding!  I'm all set now with Eric's solution. 

-Alvar

Alvar,

Check your second floor walls, you have a wall that's checked as attic and kneewall- uncheck it.

The polyline is right at the roof pane on the second floor, that's why the Porch roof isn't building correctly

The soffits is not the problem, because there are none. Again turn on auto rebuild roofs and delete that polyline, everything will fall

into place.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a638954fc2e73432cbcb33ad727121af.PNG

• Upvote 1

LawB10, 

The polyline that you were referring to was the gable roof line that I had manually added to get the hip roof to extend it over the porch. While removing it and changing the settings on the walls does generate good hip roof and porch roof, it doesn't completely give what I was after, which was the porch roof, and the extension of the hip roof.

The attached pic shows on the right what I get with your method, and on the left what I was after, which I was able to get with Eric's suggestion, which is available in HD Pro.

Thanks,

Alvar

roof problem-eric-lawb10.JPG