Interior wall intersecting sloped ceiling

OrSkier

Hi,

I'm using Home Designer 9. I've got a gambrel roof on a 1 1/2 story building, and when I add interior walls they protrude through the roof planes. (I tried to attach a plan file, but I'm getting an error and "upload failed.) How do I make them follow the plane of the sloped ceiling? (I expect I'm missing something simple...)

Thanks,
Scott

"Home Designer 9"  does not communicate much since there are at least six different titles within version 9, which one do you have?

You cannot attach a plan file on a Windows PC while it is actively open in the application you created it with. You might try again, just make sure Home Designer is closed when you do.

Yes, I agree something simple has been passed. Roof planes are programmed to cut off the tops of walls by default so something is "rotten in Denmark". It is anyone's guess as to what.

DJP

Thanks for the rapid responses - you guys are awesome!

Version is Home Designer Pro 9 - and it's in my signature now!

Thanks for diagnosing the attachment problem - I'll try again when I get home.

I thought it should do it automatigically, but no. I've rebuilt the roof planes many times with the same result, and in a couple of different plans.

Closed the plan before attaching this time, and attached an exported camera image too so you can see what's happening.

Did some experiments as well. Turns out it's not all walls that cause the problem. If I replace the auto-generated stairwell railings with full walls, they automatically follow the roof plane. However, if I draw in a railing (or a pony wall), it protrudes through the roof.

Gambrel.plan

RailingsThroughRoof.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "select the top edge" - when I click on the railing in a perspective or elevation view, it selects the room, and pulling down the top edge of the room doesn't have any effect on the protrusion (nor does it snap back). Perhaps there is some way to select the railing that I am not familiar with?