Wall Colors

447Debbie

• 2 years later...

The object painter tools aren't my toolbar.  When I click view toolbars, they don't populate.

It's 2 1/2 years later and I still can't get wall colors to work. I want to set the default color in one place, then go tell the room specification, or the wall specification, or the material applier, to use the default but it doesn't work.  I can open a wall, tell it set the default, it actually says it on the default, but when I look in the 3d viewer it's the yellow from the drywall.  So, I went into the wall specification and changed drywall to the color I want, but still can't tell the wall to use the default as it still reverts back to the yellow from the drywall.

Which default setting needs to be the color I want and why are there more than three different places to specify the default color?

What I want to do is change a default somewhere so that I can go into the wall and then tell it to use the default color.  Then, if I change color schemes in the future, I only have to change the default in one place, and all walls will update with the new color.  

Here is part of the problem.  I've set the interior of the exterior wall default at Accessible Gray.  I click thru to "Done", and it's yellow.  I go back and check and the default settings window tells me that Accessible Gray is the color of the wall, yet the wall is the yellow like it's the drywall default.  This is the interior of an exterior wall.  I have the same issue with interior walls only they default to another gray when I tell it to use a default and I can't even find where that color is set as the default.

EDITED TO ADD:  The ONLY way I can get the gray color onto the wall is to go in and change it to black, or green, something other than Accessible Gray (which is defined as the default.)  Then click thru to Done.  Let the walls go black, or green......then go back into the wall colors and choose Accessible Gray manually and not tell it to use the default.

Image2.jpg

Edited by 447Debbie

Just as in the video I made above, you can use  "Wall Types - Define" dialog to change also exterior and interior materials. You can adjust all interior 4 walls to display different shades or materials and also then change the interior Sheetrock layer to display something of your own choice as opposed to drywall, you just do it by wall type instead of wall by wall.

You can make individual wall layer material changes per wall by opening a single wall and then assigning a custom material to one side or the other by way of its "Materials Tab", You can control a room via its "Room Specification Dialog - Materials Tab - Walls" but just for a single room. Global defaults for walls are set in "Edit - Default Settings - Walls" for the entire plan.

You have so many options and tools to control wall materials and fills that it can be a little confusing (I have not mentioned what Eric referred to using the "Materials Eyedropper and Materials Spray Can" tools for changing materials). That tool has four separate modes (component- a single 3D surface, Object - colors the entire object selected, Room- alters every object in the selected group to your new custom material selection, Floor- colors all objects of the type selected on the entire floor and lastly Plan Mode- that recolors all object types of the type selected to the intended material).

As you can see misuse of these tools can destroy  a plan file or save you a lot of time. The best way to be competent is to study the Reference Manual on these tools and settings and then practice using them until you are SURE that you fully understand their uses and what to avoid doing.

DJP

4 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Just as in the video I made above, you can use  "Wall Types - Define" dialog to change also exterior and interior materials. You can adjust all interior 4 walls to display different shades or materials and also then change the interior Sheetrock layer to display something of your own choice as opposed to drywall, you just do it by wall type instead of wall by wall.

You can make individual wall layer material changes per wall by opening a single wall and then assigning a custom material to one side or the other by way of its "Materials Tab", You can control a room via its "Room Specification Dialog - Materials Tab - Walls" but just for a single room. Global defaults for walls are set in "Edit - Default Settings - Walls" for the entire plan.

You have so many options and tools to control wall materials and fills that it can be a little confusing (I have not mentioned what Eric referred to using the "Materials Eyedropper and Materials Spray Can" tools for changing materials). That tool has four separate modes (component- a single 3D surface, Object - colors the entire object selected, Room- alters every object in the selected group to your new custom material selection, Floor- colors all objects of the type selected on the entire floor and lastly Plan Mode- that recolors all object types of the type selected to the intended material).

As you can see misuse of these tools can destroy  a plan file or save you a lot of time. The best way to be competent is to study the Reference Manual on these tools and settings and then practice using them until you are SURE that you fully understand their uses and what to avoid doing.

DJP

Thanks.  I'll do it that way. I was thinking it would be set it in the defaults dialogue but maybe the Wall Type Definition Dialogue will accomplish the same thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that setting materials for walls and other objects can be a little confusing:

1. As in the video above that was specific to what I thought she was asking for.

2. There are material settings also in "Edit - Default Settings - Materials - interior wall and exterior wall"

3. AS Eric showed, there are "Modes" for the "Material Eyedropper and Materials Painter" which each have specific functions.

4. Each object and wall has a "Specification Dialog - Materials Tab" to make individual changes or edits relative to Materials.

So you see that it depends on the exact effect you wish to create and how far reaching you wish that effect to be and so on...

Learn all the existing methods and use them wisely.

DJP