New user - wall heights

HowieB

Hi

Completely new to this and an admitted amateur trying to do my own drawings.

Currently trying out the software to learn it pre renting on a one off basis

See attached. There is a glass garden room / conservatory. Needs replacing / rebuilding, which I am trying to design.

Note that :

- elements of buildings are different heights

- rear wall (sometimes internal) is of external build type

- roofs are manual and the conservatory roof is butted to the main building

- can't see it but the idea is to knock through and create a kitchen / diner. The ceilings will be of different heights

So walls, windows, doors, floor plan all feels pretty straight forward, but this ceiling, wall differing wall heights, manual roofs looks daunting. I don't even know the terminology.

Any help gratefully received

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 21.07.24.png

Not much - I am using the trial software so can't save etc. I want to see if I can get my head around it enough to invest. My first problem is that if I raise the height of a wall I raise the height s all walls. As you can see from my photo, that presents a problem. I want a tall gable exterior wall with a shorter exterior wall where the current conservatory is. So that is problem 1. Next will be that the roof will need to be bespoke I think. Then the ceiling in the conservatory area will be a different height to the kitchen behind it and will need some design / step arrangement. I will then have a skylight well + glass element of pitched roof at the centre. So ceilings and roof are problems two and three - I've not attempted any of that yet but have learned how to turn off auto roof. But can't make progress without the wall issue.

Thx

You should not buy anything but Home Designer Pro in my opinion. No software draws itself, you have to be willing to spend the time to really learn how to create specific effects using the software and its tools. If you are unwilling to dedicate yourself to competence, then keep your money. I have been using this software since 1994 and I love the creative work I can make with it, it is not work for me, rather it is fun!

DJP

16 hours ago, HowieB said:

Currently trying out the software to learn it pre renting on a one off basis

It's still important to know which software you are using.

6 hours ago, HowieB said:

My first problem is that if I raise the height of a wall I raise the height s all walls.

You don't raise the height of a wall, you raise -- or lower the ceiling height, and the walls follow.

Ceiling height is set in defaults, but may be overridden on a room by room basis.

And, if you are on Windows, and a Mac may have the same, you can Sleep or Hibernate you system instead of doing a full Shutdown. This lets you keep your drawing alive instead of starting over each time. 

LawB10 is a lot of things to a lot of people. He is not a genius, what he is, is a guy who has bothered to study the Reference Manual and Users Guide to a degree that he knows how to get a result with this software. He is competent, not a genius. I hope you are willing to become competent too, it is more fun than guessing and being incompetent.

DJP

Genius is a relative term employed for those willing to offer practical help to beginners rather than to those clearly getting bored and pontificating which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. If you can't be or don't wish to be any help and object to the questions, please do not bother to say anything at all, and leave people to learn in whichever way suits them, from those willing to answer the question asked

• Upvote 1