Roof Training Video

diyDehnel

I am working my way through the training videos.  I'm at the part in the basic roof training video where he modifies the Chic Cottage Sample Plan.  He mentions that you can download the plan from the site.  Which I did but it of course has the roof already finished.

A] is there a way to revert the roof to the auto roof.  (I tried deleting the roof plan but there are so many other wall mods and dormers etc. I am no where close to the basic construction he is working with.

B] is there a different download I am suppose to use that is related to the video.

Thanks for your feedback.

Michael Dehnel

2016 Pro

Still Learning ...

Thanks Eric, but that was the video I was going through.  One of the last exercise starts with this house and builds a complex roof but as you mention the download is the completed house.  It would be helpful if they paired some of the tutorials with download saves that coincided with the videos but I'll get there.  Again thanks for trying!

I always suggest to someone wanting to learn the roof tools available in Pro to start by experimenting.

Draw a one room structure. Auto build the roof, then move the roof planes around. Change the default hip to a gable.

Add a room forming an L or T shape structure. Draw roof planes manually and try to connect them to the existing roof.

Like a slab, a roof plane is bound by a polyline with edit handles you may grab and move.

Work in a camera view so you may see what is happening. I like a Technical Illustration with patterns toggled off (under the 3D menu).

As for the video, I was suggesting following it from beginning to the end, as I believe they construct the house before building the roof.

To get the roof to build automatically, you click Build>roofs and check auto rebuild roofs. If you look at the plan itself

it shows how it was built, just click on everything in it to see what was done. Don't change the original plan, as Solver stated

build a plan with auto roofs on and go from there.