Attic stairs

Stewben

I have Home Designer 2017.  I have created a plan for a two story house with Gabled roof want to create a stairway to the attic space above the second floor.  If I place a stair on the second floor going up of on the attic floor the stairs always reflect that they go up and in the Framing perspective view the stairs get located between the first and second floors.  How can I create a stairwell to the attic level?

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem. I tried to add a 2nd floor but that really messed up my model. I am wanting to build a regular stair case to access the attic, not a second floor.  When adding a 2nd floor, my ceiling heights get modified or my roof gets moved. Since I'm drawing an existing home, these are not things I want done.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00358/automatically-building-a-one-and-a-half-story-roof.html

the Tutorial above is the basics...... it will depend on whether you House is built with the Roof coming off the 1st floor wall plates ( see tutorial)  which it probably is if a Converted one or two storey Home Originally.  If they sit on the Floor of the Attic, you will need to Raise the Height so it frames correctly like this.....

Make the Second Floor 1 1/2" ( wall plate thickness) high when you create it not 24" in the Tutorial above ,

in the Roof Build DBX (dialog box)

- check ignore Top Floor

- make the raise birdsmouth setting about 10 1/2" , so the Rafter will sit on the Wall Plate ( created above) on top of the Floor. ( assuming Std HD Floor thickness)

The Stair should now go up and you can create a Stairwell

30.thumb.JPG.8d71f1dc0d498ef31fc022369850c5ce.JPG