how to make rooms a certain size

reedspain

I can't seem to make the rooms in my project an actual size. I want a room to be a specific size, e.g. 16'x17', but it is coming in at odd numbers (like 16' 11 7/8"). When I open the wall and change it, nothing moves and the room is the same size. How can I make the room the exact size I want? Also, how can I make the outside dimensions of the house change at the same time? Also, how do I make the foundation of the house and the upstairs also change at the same time? It seems that when I change things, I can't get them to change together. :/

Thank you!!

They are going to want to know which Home Designer series you have. Ie Suite 2017, Architectural 2018 ....... I can tell you from my experience that you can make the walls the actual length you want by clicking on one of the walls. You should see a dimension line come up. Click on that line, and it will allow you to change the length. You can change what type of foundation you want by clicking 'Edit'. Go down to 'default settings'. Go down to 'Foundation' Highlight that, then click 'Edit' button at bottom of pop up. I'm unsure of how to do the things you want all at the same time. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will get on here and help you with that. Hopefully what I've given you will get you started. 

I assume that you are referring to how the software can be made to display dimensions under the assigned room name. Personally, I never use that display BECAUSE  it is not accurate and is a rounded off display of dimensions. When I want to show dimensions in a room, I draw those dimensions so anyone can then see, accurately what the dimensions are. You can also display via "Display Options" the square footage of rooms accurately. Please study the sections of your Reference Manual that describe what these displays mean before using them. The Reference Manual can be found under the "Help" menu and provides important information you need to have to understand how to use your software competently.

DJP

I am using 2018 Home Designer Pro. The problem is if I click on a wall, it shows the length of the WALL, not the size of the room. I need to know the size of the room, not the length of the wall. the wall includes several inches of other outside wall and does not account for drywall. I also want, when I am finally able to do that, to be able to connect the foundation, 1st and 2nd floors, so that when the outside walls need to move to accommodate the change in room size, they all move together.

Once learned this software is wonderful for the designer. If you want the software to display average size in terms of feet and inches, it will do so  IF SET to do so by you by way of Display Options-Rooms. I commonly do not use that setting as it is, as I said an average of dimensions of each room after it is named and the Display Options-Rooms- Dimensions display is selected. You can also have the software display each room's size in terms of Square Feet per room if you like. I prefer using Manual dimension tools creating a dimension string up and down and another string left and right which then show the exact room dimensions on screen. I never use auto-dimensions or auto-Temporary dimensions as you seem to be doing. Read the Users Guide please and also use the Help files to find out how this software is designed to work, once you do, you will find it more fun to use. Guessing is a waste of your time.

DJP