trying to get started

Retired1

Trying to learn this program, have watched hours of tutorial videos, spent hours trying to get a floor plan to work from the tutorials and still haven't been able to get a simple floor plan done.  Can anybody make any recommendations on what is the best way to learn this program?  (Home Design Pro 2018)  

Any idea why the camera icon as well as a number of others aren't highlighted and won't work?  I even reloaded the program no luck.  I can get to the camera via the menu bar but not the icon.

1) Please fill out your Signature -- see below.

2) As for learning, start with the YouTube videos linked below.

Here is one to start with.

Try to understand how the program works, and less on how to do specific things.

Start simple. Draw 4 walls to form a room, build a foundation. Don't try to make all the settings perfect, just become familiar with how the program operates.

Make one wall a gable, etc. Experiment and see how the program reacts.

There is a step by step tutorial in the users guide that many start with.

New users often expect there are on/off answers to every question, and that's rarely the case. Mostly answers are dependent on multiple settings and where (what view) you are in the program.

Posting images of your screen (windows snipping tool), and your plan file -- when you have one, will help others understand and provide the best response.

--------------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. Doing so makes it always available, and this info is often key to providing a good suggestion

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Solver, thank you for your assistance.  I have done this quick start or at least tried to work with it but items like holding the space bar down and clicking a wall to change a measurement doesn't work on some walls, listing a measurement to adjust an interior wall moves an entire outside wall as compared to the inside wall to the deminsion that I want (yes I am in the correct setting according to the video).  The camera icon as well as others are not highlighted and then poof they are.  I have watched and read and clicked and tried all different things and what I have not found is a constant, ie. click this and this will happen as for turning icons on or off, etc.  These issues have no answers in help menu that I can find, and when I can't get a wall deminsion to come up to make a change to it, I can't make the design work and this is all from just following the quick start video.  Trying to become familiar with how the program operates is much easier if it operates.  Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Retired1 said:

but items like holding the space bar down and clicking a wall to change a measurement doesn't work on some walls,

You never hold the space bar down to do anything. The space bar is tapped to exit the current mode only.

13 minutes ago, Retired1 said:

listing a measurement to adjust an interior wall moves an entire outside wall as compared to the inside wall to the deminsion that I want

You are doing it wrong -- obvious conclusion, I know. For dimensioning, try turning off all auto dimensions and rely on Temporary Dimensions. Look at your dimension defaults to make sure the settings are as you expect -- dimension to wall surface vs to framing, for example.

18 minutes ago, Retired1 said:

The camera icon as well as others are not highlighted and then poof they are

This depends on which view you are in. The tools (icons) available are dependent on being in plan, elevation etc.

If you have not already done so, I recommend that you read the "User's Guide" found under the "Help Menu" when the program is running. That document will help orient you to how the software is to work.

The learning process takes you from unknown to known a little bit at a time. Do not just start guessing how to use the tools, rather study a part of the Reference Manual (also found under the "Help" menu) and then open the software and practice what you just studied so it then becomes greater certainty and competence for your use. It took me a year of intensive self-study and practice to really learn the software. It was worth the effort.

DJP