Railings don't define a room over a slab

rvbinder

I placed a slab with footings on the front of my structure.  I drew a hipped roof over the slab.  I drew exterior walls on about half of the slab to define an entry room (had to check "Floor under this room" to get the finish floor to be displayed.)  I drew a railing that encloses the rest of the slab, expecting to be able to designate this area as a porch. But, HDP will not recognize the railing enclosed area as a room, so I can't define a finish floor - only the concrete slab shows  I've tried recreating the railings and replaced the railings with room dividers - no help. 

How can get the exterior area to be recognized as a porch?

entry-porch.JPG

The software wants you to draw walls (railings) first, forming a room. You set the room to a specific type as desired (Porch), make changes if needed to the structure settings, and optionally build a roof.

Why have you done things differently?

If you post your plan file, someone may take a look. No one can tell from an image.

Closed and it uploaded fine.

I'm not sure exactly what steps I took to generate this model. Getting as far as I did took a lot of experiments and backtracking. But I was able to define the entry room with exterior walls and don't see why the other area is any different.

Also, I've noticed an auto-generated phantom attic wall appears on the 2nd floor above the entry room, which I cannot delete. I wonder if that is related to the porch definition problem.

962-Renno-2.plan

Part of the problem are the invisible walls by the fireplace. They are No Room Definition, which prevents the porch from becoming a room.

There is another problem that I don't understand, but will recommend a way to fix it.

When you select the exterior room on your plan, it looks like this.

ht1.thumb.jpg.05b6c26d3ba655ea29bc6bd9454d05bd.jpg

It should look like this.

ht2.thumb.jpg.1c7452e8df521532d4798ea549599ad3.jpg

It may just be the way you built the model, but I've not seen this and don't know the cause.

I would start a new plan. Use Edit>Edit Area to move each floor to the new plan. I tried this and it corrected the exterior room error.

Try to get the structure correct before adding things like the fireplace. As you add it, keep checking that rooms are still defined etc.

I'd placed the room divider around the outside chimney stack because I drew it as a CAD object following a web site tutorial. The divider was necessary to get the porch defined. I'm not sure how it became undefined. But, as you suggested, replacing the divider walls with regular walls allowed the room to be recognized and then defined as a porch. 

Thanks