Missing Sill Plate Creates GAP at top of stem wall

riverroad

In doing my best to recreate the steps I took to get here.

I am trying to recreate an existing home, so I can show the homeowner my ideas for a renovation project.

1. Built main home structure on floor 1

2. Used build foundation to get a floor 0 under main structure,

3. Then moved to floor 0 to resize foundation to match my on site measurements and input all my additional foundation measurements

4. Moved back up to floor 1 with reference floor display turned on in order edit main structure walls to match foundation below and to build exterior walls around breezeway addition and garage

5. I did not want to build walls on rear room because I knew I had to step the foundation

6. Could not find an easy way to edit the stem wall height on rear room without also raising up the footing! Or converting them to Pony walls.

7. Resorted to a 3D view and editing the height of the stem wall to something randomly lower than the main structure, about 2 ft

8. Back to 2D view to extend exterior walls around rear room, opened a 3D view and noticed the rear room was cantilevered out and one of the sill plates on the main structure is now missing.

When I perform a [build framing] the sill plate is missing also, along with a section of the sill plate missing over my bulkhead door.

NOTE: The way this home's original foundation structure was built all the casement and doorways use the house's sill plate as their "Header/Jamb" there is no concrete above the cellar door or casement windows.

I need to drop my garage stem wall height also, so I may run into the same problems. See Attached photo for reference.

91-River-Road-exact-Foundation 9-1-2017.plan

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

91-River-Road-exact-Foundation 9-1-2017.plan

I understand what you are trying to do by building walls on a dimensioned foundation, but that's not how the program wants to work.

Try to leave auto rebuild foundation on as long as possible, and you cannot do that with your method.

Here is an alternate way.

On floor 1, draw CAD lines outlining your foundation.

ht2.thumb.jpg.17ccc0c6a0999c8b8a87f3e11185d543.jpg

Draw walls over the lines. The wall outside main layer will snap to the lines, so you may need to move the location of these lines in so that the wall aligns correctly. Use Concentric Resize to do this.

Now when you build the foundation, it will be in the correct position under the walls.

Before you build the foundation, change the floor location in the rooms that vary from the default. For that back room, make the floor -24 (or whatever is correct) and the foundation will build correctly.

Use walls on the first floor to outline the stairwell -- make it Open Below, turn off the roof, and drop the ceiling to 0 or even a negative number. This way the foundation walls will build below.

ht1.thumb.jpg.60d75eaadbe2fb9e50f0cf4a4b2945e3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello Eric,

Thank you for responding to my question.
I have seen you respond to many questions, I was hoping you would respond to mine.

So I have to frame my first floor before I build the foundation?

I understand when designing a house plan it is nice to have the foundation magically show up later and move around as
you make changes, however when working with an existing foundation and structure it would be nice if the program worked in reverse.
It is a challenge to get accurate dimensions on an older home with none plywood siding, local clapboards, then plywood sheathing, and on top of that
vinyl siding!

Thank you
Jonathan

Edited by riverroad
Removed irrelevant content

4 hours ago, riverroad said:

So I have to frame my first floor before I build the foundation?

No, you need to get the first floor relationally correct as to its dimensions and room dialog box settings first.

4 hours ago, riverroad said:

I understand when designing a house plan it is nice to have the foundation magically show up later and move around as
you make changes

No, you understand nothing yet. Buiding the foundation I leave till almost last and I only frame the model after all possible changes and alterations have been made and it is in its FINAL version (Framing, like roof planes, do not automatically update and I commonly never use auto rebuild foundation or auto rebuild framing). There is nothing "wrong" with using these tools, I merely choose not to use them except when I am ready to do so.

DJP