How to estimate construction cost

henrygobel

Professionals who do estimations for construction projects commonly use specialized software designed for that purpose. I never did do estimation work professionally except as a remodeling contractor and always did so manually using a calculator only. When I started using Chief Premier I used the materials list to some degree to gain raw data but keep in mind that whether using Chief Premier or Home Designer the materials list is only as accurate as the quality and detail of your plan file. I would be surprised if any users here actually do professional estimating (most of the pros I know of use Chief like me for raw data and use a second program to do the estimating work.  You might post at Chief Talk and get some actual suggestions as to what software to look into or just do a "Google Search" for construction estimating software.

DJP

• 2 weeks later...

That would really depend on if you were owner-building or using a general contractor. You can get estimates for free if you shop three good GC's in your area then average them. If you are being your own general contractor you can take anywhere from 20% to 45% off the GC price. That is the cost that the GC puts on to the actual cost to pay himself. Either way its a good plan to get multiple bids for your job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for your question. Actually, I lived in the USA and I am also thinking to renovate my house. I want to change the doors and windows of my house. Because In summers due to the sunlight electricity bill are also creating the big problem for me. So my friend suggests me to tint the windows of my house. And I am looking for home window tinting services from past two weeks.Hope I will resolve my this problem very soon.

On 8/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, henrygobel said:

I have a house designed. Now I need to calculate the cost to build it. I'd like to find an estimating software program that can take the information directly from my plan in Home Designer. 

You might consider taking your plans to Home Depot in your area.  They will do a materials Take-Off and provide an estimate of all materials.  You might be able to take this to any construction materials supplier who will then do a Take-off.

You could/should go to your regional Home Builders Association or to your local Chamber of Commerce to get some builders who you can talk to and get some references and then have them provide you with construction estimates.

I'm a designer here in the SW region of PA.  I use Home Depot, 84 Lumber ( go to their website and put in your zipcode ), and Brookside Lumber.  You could probably find an actual lumber supply to do the same thing.