House numbers and fascia color

djkiwi

Well I like your design better already :)   those trees certainly hide it from the street.

$12k+ ? for a reno design ?  I am way outta touch I guess or in the wrong business :)  did you ask more than one place?

Your plan was in feet and inches but your "Handle" djkiwi made me think it should be in metric that's why I was curious  

Pro , will make life easier if you are going to planning with this for sure , and you'll need it I think to do elevations and cross sections etc.

Hi Mick. Nice pickup. Yes, I am an "import" into the good ol USA from NZ. Metric would be nice. Still having problems with the feet and inches thing. Architect fees end up about 7-10% of the remodel budget in our area. They start off low but all said and done end up about 10%+ for a good architect. A friend of mine spent $15k on fees for a $150k remodel. I think it really depends on the number of issues with permitting and how many changes there are. 

Yes, you are right with the elevations. The City told me they need to see elevations so Chief pro is a must.

Cheers

DJ

Hi Mick/guys. I started on the differing overhangs but had an earlier issue that could relate to the 12" bug. Basically the exterior walls wont change color. For example I have set the color of the garage door to Benjamin Moore pewter and then the top siding also to pewter but they stubbornly remain as ocean blue even though the setting states pewter. You can see the front of the house displays pewter ok. Also if I do an inside view of the garage and show the exterior wall it has another unrelated color. This all seem to start after the 12" bug issue. I'm trying to attach the plan but it's too big now as the system only allows 10 mb or less.  It won't accept a 7-ip file either. 

Any ideas or things to check on this one?

Thanks

DJ 

post-768-0-56671500-1411433056_thumb.jpg

I noticed the Pewter issue when I was playing with your last plan , I made the new side wall pewter but it was a different colour than the "Blue" main walls.... you do have Pewter by the front door ,so not sure what is different? put a sill on your front door by the way, it is necessary on exterior doors and will hide the material change in the doorway too ( see below).

your wall definition has a pale green siding material but it is showing as a plain blue colour , no material eg stucco apparently so I am not sure how you got to that point?  

You should consider going to Pro sooner than later , the overhangs for eg are a single setting in the Wall's DBX and done..... and fixing /mulling the windows on the end is easier in Pro too ,(see below). It looks like your Terrain is a bit low too , I see the top of the footing below the Brick and the step up to your garage floor.

post-25-0-34930800-1411438033_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-25304800-1411438518_thumb.jpg

Mick.

Thanks guys for the ideas and the dropbox idea. It appears I had a problem with naming the garage and another room which solved the downstairs siding issue. Still seeing differences between front of house and side of house with the pewter.

Thanks for the doorstep note. I was wondering how to do that. Pro is on the shopping list for next month for sure.

Cheers

DJ

exterior doors normally have a sill auto .but perhaps you suppressed it by checking the checkbox in the Door's DBX?

7zip won't help if the zipped file is still over 10mb. but you can make a copy of your plan if needed and then delete things like your Furniture and those TV's behind the couch :)   or if needed even the bathroom and kitchen cabinets, still not enough ? delete the terrain/plants etc....

Hi Mick. The drop box idea seems to work well. I hope CA increases this 10 mb limit as it's way too low. I'm starting to think I have a bug somewhere as now the floors have gone a solid brown color (see picture shows the floor selected) and the brown siding that was tongue and groove is now just a solid color although the setting shows tongue and groove. Also the siding still will not match on the front and side. I've marked on the picture where both are set to pewter but the one over the garage won't change. I'm starting to think these issues are related.

I was hoping if you get a minute you load this plan on your system to see if you have the same problem or have any things for me to check. If it's a bug I will report to CA and see if they can provide any guidance.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100756869/Existing%20Plan%2066.plan

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-65089600-1411516768_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-08879400-1411516781_thumb.jpg

The front wall color issue is related to the sun. When I changed the sun angle so the front is shaded, the color looks OK. 

Also the texture on the floor and siding is showing for me. Also changed the dark wall in the bedroom to match the others after taking the image.

And I just noticed the upload limit is now 25MB.

Thanks Eric for that. I had no idea you could adjust for sun. That's incredible even sunlight is built in.  That did the trick. I feel like a complete noob. On the brown siding issue I pressed "toggle textures" and it fixed it. I emailed CA yesterday asking them to increase the file limit. It's good to see they are so responsive to their customers.

Cheers

DJ

Hi Mick. Yes. Fixed that now. That left side of the roof seems to have a mind of it's own. I will keep posting my updated plan so anybody else can use it for ideas as well. Hopefully by the end of the process it's a masterpiece! 

I did have one question. On the left side of the house front I have put a green strip by using the wall break. What I was trying to do was make the strip only go to the bottom of the window like this house below. See how the red strip stops at the window bottom. Is there an easy way to do this?

http://www.houzz.com/photos/442208/A-Small-Retreat-by-the-Ocean-contemporary-exterior-seattle

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-15623700-1411595174_thumb.jpg

Existing Plan 75.plan

Once you get the roof how you want it  turn auto rebuilt Roofs OFF  then you shouldn't need to play with it again.....

I would just use the Soffit Tool ( in cabinets) to make some thin panels (1/8")  you can just place against your siding , that way you can move them around, change their size, colour etc as you try different ideas

not sure in Suite but in Pro you could add the different Panels to the library too for reuse.

I think Eric is right about the Sun affecting the Paint colour though I have to say I don't think I have seen such a dramatic colour difference before, though I am not used to how Pro 2015 handles colours/shadows. Make sure you have your Sun Angle setup correctly for Seattle in the Preferences>CAD>Sun Angle.

Looks like you've got some wonky terrain issues going on, too.

Also...If the particular terrain problem showing the level 0 footing (garage side) is caused by the cantilever from floor 1, place a grass textured soffit at that terrain level to cover it up.

P.S. What is that unsupported thing ( roof?) in front of the front porch entry?

Thanks Jo_Ann on the green strip.  So I used the soffit tool to get the reveals in the panel and then use your corner board tool to get the corner reveals. The only difference I see is the corner boards can only be set to a minimum of 3/4" whereas the soffit can be the desired 1/2". I've attached the plan and picture.

Cheers

DJ

ps: still haven't managed to get your 3073 to "stick" to anything as yet.

post-768-0-11725500-1411668223_thumb.jpg

Existing Plan 78.plan

Hi Jo_Ann, the unsupported "thing" is like a pergola. I'm still developing it. I got the idea from this place.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1069993/Cloud-Street-Residence-midcentury-exterior-san-francisco

Frankly I'm not sure what's going on with the terrain. It was a fluke I was able to get it this far. I'm also trying to get those steps to go up but have had no luck so far. I'm trying to find out how to make that hill part lower so the stair case will go up but nothing I seem to to flatten it. 

Also I'm also trying to lower the terrain by the basement door by a few inches. 

Cheers

DJ

Existing Plan 78.plan

post-768-0-55465000-1411668799_thumb.jpg

you have a few issues with your Soffit Reveals (see image) but all in all it worked well , lots of playing around with soffits for this type of thing though unfortunately.

post-25-0-50170900-1411670025_thumb.jpg

Did you not Download Joe's premade hardi panel with reveals ? , it is 4'x4' but can be resized. coloured etc as can the Reveal eg to Alum.

this is the panel Joe made.....probably made in X6 so may only work with 2015 titles ( does work with Pro 2015)

Hardi_Wall Panel.zip

BTW Hardi Panel is 5/16" thick and generally comes in 4'x8' or 5'x10' sheets      but can obviously be cut into 2' wide strips if that is your "look"

cost wise larger is better as less labour and the Reveal details/materials etc

CR Laurence (CRL)  are one of the big suppliers of the reveals in US and CDN ,there website should have more info if you need it...probably if going to permit...

@JoAnn looks like an Architectural Sunshade to me , think it's on skyhooks ?  :)

DJ,

I don't understand what you are saying about the numbers sticking?  I see them in your last pic?   You applied them to a soffit, correct?  You then move that soffit up against any surface that you want the numbers to display upon.

For your terrain stairs, look in the knowledge database:  http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00498/71/Home-Designer/Stairs/How-to-Create-Stairs-in-Sloping-Terrain.html

Looks like you've got some wonky terrain issues going on, too.

Also...If the particular terrain problem showing the level 0 footing (garage side) is caused by the cantilever from floor 1, place a grass textured soffit at that terrain level to cover it up.

another way to fix the hole in the terrain cause by the cantilever is to make a Terrain Hole the same size as the basement footprint and then in the Terrain Specification DBX turn off / uncheck the box "hide terrain intersecting the building" 

alter the  terrain region elevation in front of the garage and it should hide the footing ( raise an inch or two,) but this region is lower than the region under the deck for some reason ? which is why you get the "ripple" at the edge of the house , make both regions the same elevation/height, unless then aren't really ? in which case move the edge of the one under the deck back 4-6 feet? so you get a smooth transition in the terrain between the two "flat" regions.

you also have some "stray" regions in the plan , see the pic , outlined in red , you can delete , the elevation line you can shorten to the width of the Terrain so when you do an overview you are not 2 miles from the house.... there are also 3 elevation lines you can delete

post-25-0-31926200-1411699968_thumb.jpg

M.

you have a few issues with your Soffit Reveals (see image) but all in all it worked well , lots of playing around with soffits for this type of thing though unfortunately.

attachicon.gifSoffit issue1.JPG

Did you not Download Joe's premade hardi panel with reveals ? , it is 4'x4' but can be resized. coloured etc as can the Reveal eg to Alum.

this is the panel Joe made.....probably made in X6 so may only work with 2015 titles ( does work with Pro 2015)

attachicon.gifHardi_Wall Panel.zip

BTW Hardi Panel is 5/16" thick and generally comes in 4'x8' or 5'x10' sheets      but can obviously be cut into 2' wide strips if that is your "look"

cost wise larger is better as less labour and the Reveal details/materials etc

CR Laurence (CRL)  are one of the big suppliers of the reveals in US and CDN ,there website should have more info if you need it...probably if going to permit...

@JoAnn looks like an Architectural Sunshade to me , think it's on skyhooks ?  :)

Thanks Mick. Yes I'm going to rip them into 2' wide but still playing around with the look and pattern. I'm looking at either using clear anodized or painted the same color as the siding. You are right these reveals are expensive. I'm using the Tamlyn reveals which most of the contractors and architects specify around here and goes for around $20-$25 for a 10 ft piece. Kinda silly really for something that should cost $1.

I did try Joe's wall panel but it was blank so did the long winded soffit part. 

Cheers

DJ

DJ,

I don't understand what you are saying about the numbers sticking?  I see them in your last pic?   You applied them to a soffit, correct?  You then move that soffit up against any surface that you want the numbers to display upon.

For your terrain stairs, look in the knowledge database:  http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00498/71/Home-Designer/Stairs/How-to-Create-Stairs-in-Sloping-Terrain.html

Hi Jo_Ann.

Well, not quite. I got the png into user catalog. I can see the file there under the library browser. When I go to apply material there is nothing to be seen in the user catalog :(

I will have a crack at the stairs now...

Cheers

DJ