House numbers and fascia color

djkiwi

I tried to import into Suite 2014 a library parsed for Chief Architect Premier X5 of letters and numbers (I also tried to import that same library into Home Designer Pro) with NO success, the import failed in each case.

You can try a search at 3D Warehouse for numbers and letters, download them and see if they work in Suite but that is for you to try and find out please.

You can change the fascia color within the materials tab of the "Build Roof Dialog" or just use the "Material Painter or Materials Eyedropper AFTER studying how to use those tool properly in the Reference Manual first (you can cause a lot of grief for yourself if you use those tools without knowing how they are programmed to work).

DJP

Thanks for the input David. I'm surprised such a simple thing as getting house numbers is so difficult/complicated. I notice there is a text function under CAD. I was hoping I could use this to draw the numbers on the house directly but doesn't appear to work that way. I will keep trying. Basically I'm trying to insert my house number on the concrete in the front yard. Anybody else done this?

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-26504700-1411107958_thumb.jpg

Jo_Ann has a workable idea from the standpoint of creating images that display numbers or other imagery, such images can then be imported as a "new custom material" and applied to a "soffit" for placing in a plan as house numbers or even signs or bill boards. It is not fully 3D as in my original answer to your post but will be visible and realistic looking in camera views. Thanks Jo_Ann!

DJP

Thanks Jo_Ann and David. I did try the 3d import but had limited success. So what I'm trying to do is put 3073 onto the concrete block in front of the house I only have gimp software. I tried to do the numbers in Gimp and import them into suite. It ended up as some sort of background and I got 3073 as a huge backdrop behind the house which I deleted before any more damage was done. 

Yes, still problems with the shed roof as the second picture shows. I'm not sure why it drops the roof on an angle like that. I've isolated it to an inside wall I think. In fact there is a big "V" shape showing the problem in the plan. I've attached the plan but as an inexperienced not seeing anything untoward so any input would be appreciated! 

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-13208100-1411159200_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-43276900-1411159242_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-96480600-1411159247_thumb.jpg

Like this?  DJP is correct.

You must add this png pic (number) to your 'my library'.  You then place a soffit on the ground, and make it a very thin height.  Open the soffit and apply the new material to it.  THEN move the soffit over top of the concrete where you want it, and re-size it (the soffit) to the size that you want the numbers to appear to be.

post-63-0-71865700-1411161653_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-94561200-1411161696_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I think you are running into the old 12" difference in room Height Bug , with the bedroom wall set as full gable ( not done ) and then setting the master bedroom and closet to 68" makes the wall generate correctly .

Is you main floor really only 7' feet (84") high?

JoAnn maybe able to confirm as I see the wall built in her 1st pic too...

post-25-0-05235500-1411165961_thumb.jpg

I am using the Trial Version of HD Pro so I can open the plan , surprised you don't have it too ....the 12" bug has been around for years and is in HD Pro10 too.

roof pitch on RH wall is 3/4"

pitch on LH wall is 2" hence the offset ridge.

bit more playing around and I found with this roof I can sneak the room height back upto almost 80",but  at 80" it reverts back to the original.

plan image

post-25-0-29505500-1411167259_thumb.jpg

well the building is 40' wide which means it has 30" of Rise so it shouldn't look Flat.....

what are the room heights in your "guess plan" then ? 

Don't you want to try the free Trial of Pro? or are you afraid you'll want to upgrade? so far I don't see and "must have" feature from Pro 10 but then I don't do that much as I cant save etc in the Trial.

Mick,

Room heights are 7' and the high shed rises (I hope) to 9' (as DJ specified).

All of the new titles list the minimum operating system as 'Vista". I have XP, so it would probably be a waste of effort.

My nvidia card runs excellent for my current title, but it would probably flounder at running Pro.  :(

P.S.  I'm really disappointed that the post options don't have a 'crying' smiley!

DJ's room heights are 84" everywhere except the living Rm which is 92" which is why when I decrease the masterbed/closet to 79 15/16th"  the Roof builds as needed/expected make it 80" and the roof reverts to original.......the wall between must be set to Full Gable too , it wasn't in his posted plan. 

your "guess plan" heights already exceed the needed 12" difference , perhaps try altering them and see what happens..... it is the same issue I helped Evolution (Bob) with a while back.

Ahhhh didn't realise you were on XP , but I don't see your card acting any different in Pro Compared to HDA the underlying 3D engine is the same in both as far as I am aware, perhaps its time to get a copy of Win 7  :)  or even and old computer or laptop off Craigslist with Win7 perhaps , happy to help with advise if you need it.... 

M.

Guys, many thanks for the help! I'm all inspired now.  :rolleyes:

So I did what Mick suggested and set the bedroom wall to full gable and then the ceiling to 68 inches. This created another problem whereby the master bedroom wall was only 68" high. So to get this right I increased the living room height to 98" and then the master bedroom and master closet to the correct 84 inches". By setting to 98" and 84" respectively I think this cleared the 12" bug Mick mentioned.  Here are pictures of the correct roof planes. I can't upload the plan now as it says it's too big. If anyone wants to see the working roof I can zip and post it.

Now off to try the house numbers (Thanks Jo_Ann)..

Cheers!

DJ

post-768-0-79288800-1411182081_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-18657400-1411182089_thumb.jpg

Mick.

I'm not understanding what you are doing with those ceiling heights.  All the ceilings are 84".

I did the livingroom with a second floor.  I measured the ceiling at it's peak by using a tall soffit, and it is 9' 5".   The only way (I think) to lower it is to decrease the pitch to 5/8" (creates a perfect 9' ceiling), but that doesn't look as good as the 3/4" pitch does (on the exterior).

Is the main floor of the house cantilevered over level 0?

DJ - as long as you are 12 1/16th difference initially the Roof should build correctly , I usually go 14" then slowly sneak back up until I find the exact height the "bug" kicks in , it seems you need to "rebuild" it at more than a 12" difference ( must reset something?)  but as mentioned earlier in the thread I have found by increasing the height again an inch at a time I can sneak the height back up sometimes past the 12" difference .

M.

JoAnn - DJ has all rooms in his plan at 84" except the Living Room which was set at 92"  , only a 6 inch difference and it seems that HD will try to make it one Roof plane if there is not at least a 12" difference in height.  As a quick test I set the masterbed and MB closet to 68" and the roof built correctly .

without the 92 inch height in the Living rm he would get a standard gable roof (not shed) if all rooms were 84" (unless he used the 2nd flr like you)

you are correct at the front it is 9'4-5" in DJ's Plan , I don't know why the Room height setting effects it in this case as from the back kitchen wall to the front there would be a 29-30" change in height at 3/4" pitch ( 3/4"x39'wide) of course the ceiling can still be flat under that slope if desired so if 84" in kitchen , at the front wall it should be in the 123-124" range (10'3" approx.) I think ?  so I am unsure what setting is effecting what . I haven't played it it any more....

Yes the front wall of the house is cantilevered 26" over the basement wall but only on that side it appears

You can test the 12" bug with a simple 40x30 gable house , say 8/12 pitch , now add a room on the gable end, say 12' deep by 15 wide and give it a shed roof and see what happens

Thanks again Mick. I'd never cottoned on to that without your help. I have another question actually on roof overhangs. My roof overhangs are different I have 4' overhangs and some 1' overhangs. When I try to build roof it only allows me to change all of them and not individually. Is individual overhang control possible in suite or only pro? 

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-03676000-1411251249_thumb.jpg

DJ- I thought  individual control of overhangs was a Pro feature ,it is in each wall's DBX if available , but this KB Article has the Suite icon on it so hopefully it will help.

The KB has many good Tutorials , always worth checking if you have an issue , you may have to use US terms in the search though :)  

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00077/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Specifying-Different-Roof-Overhangs-on-Different-Walls.html

Are you actually building this house ? just curious where.....

Thanks Mick. Will look into that. I've watched some videos but missed that one.  Actually the house is located in Seattle's Eastern suburbs (it's the worst house in the best street type of deal). We bought this mid century modern house last year and have been planning a remodel of the existing structure but staying within the same roof line (reconfigure the inside walls to get a master bathroom etc and much better curb appeal). Typical architect fees for this job are 12k+ so I thought I'd try my hand at designing it myself (although have never designed a thing before) to save the $. This is now proving to be an enjoyable experience plus for an $80 piece of software you can't go wrong. I really like this software and will upgrade to pro soon so I can print out plans for permitting and do other fun stuff.

To give you an idea what I'm dealing with I've attached a picture of the latest design (on left) with how the front of the house looks now (in it's glory :huh: ) on the right. My plan for the exterior is to leave the roof line as is and only enclose the carport(convert to living space) and change the landscaping to improve curb appeal etc. Our local City said all ok as long as I can make a second covered car space. This is easy as I can widen the basement garage from a one stall to two stall and install a bigger header to support a 16' wide door. 

The software has shown me what is possible and I'm getting my design ideas for free from many of the very talented architects that post on houzz.com.

Cheers

DJ

post-768-0-72601300-1411325477_thumb.jpg