Break Line not working on sidewalk

MikeBaldus

Hoping for help:

As you will see in the attached plan file, I have drawn two sections of 24" private sidewalk near the house on the West side (which is top of plan as viewed).

The section to the right is existing sidewalk and goes out to meet the public sidewalk.  The section to the left is proposed as new.  I have changed the fill material to make it stand out because I need to show the permit people.

As soon as I drag to extend the new sidewalk to the left to connect it to a small pad at base of stairs (off the SW corner of house), the program connects it to the existing sidewalk. It loses its independent identity. Once this happens, I have tried to simply add a joint via the Break Line tool as the Reference Manual instructs.  However I can't seem to make it work.  I have tried the Break Line double-click method also, to no avail.

I would like to know how to make it work as the manual says.  Also if it's possible to defeat the programmed behavior of "auto-connecting" the two sidewalks I would love to know that!  As you should see by playing with my drawing, you can draw the independent sidewalk as I have, but at the point where you extend it to the left enough for the program to think you plan to connect all 3 sections, it blends the new walk with the existing section on the right, making it all one object.

Gratefully,

Mike

300 Franklin-Proposed.plan