Space Planning Stairs turn into Court

tkid124

When I design a 2 story building using the Space Planning tool: I lay out the first floor, my stairs are often on the interiour of the house, when I use the build feature it turns the room into a court and gives it exterior walls pointing towards my stairs along with  big gaping hole in the roof. I am thinking this is some kind of a feature that I have turned on at some point and can't figure out how to turn it off.

I use a plan that I have customized and saved on my hard drive, I use that saved plan as a template, I know I could redo all of the customization (hours of work) in a new template and just hoping this doesn't happen again, however I'm looking for insight on why this might be happening, I'm open to any suggestions.

It does this on the upstairs and downstairs part of the stairwell.

Home Designer Architect 2018

Thank you.

Upstairs.JPG

There is no substitute for learning the software as a tool. Fully read the Users Guide and then little by little read the Reference Manual (both found under the "Help" main menu). Read or watch a tutorial video, read the Reference Manual section on those tools and dialog boxes, then open Architectural and practice what you learned until you get a feel for how the software is programmed to work.

The software is merely a mechanical construct that you use as a tool to create what you want to share with Building Professionals, it is a graphic communication device to convey to others what you wish to create in the "real world". Software does not have judgment, knowledge, responsibility. Those are things you develop within yourself as competence. It does not "know", it does not "do" or stop you from doing, it requires your control and your applied knowledge to guide it to a result.

DJP

After looking through the relevant sections in both Guides it does not seem to cover any ability or feature to do this.

Further details on testing with another file that was created new from one of the defaults in the program. It does not seem to have the same results. I have only tested it once so that is far from conclusive. My suspicion is that I have done something in the file that has caused a bug as solver pointed out, or have tweaked some setting unknowingly in the file that has caused this. I will do more testing both with this file and fresh files to confirm a bug and will post back here with the results. (If it is a bug, I will report it through the appropriate channels).

Thank you both for your replies.

It's either a bug (likely) or a random feature. I opened a ticket with support.

I have tested with the default files, and found that making my stairs 5' wide (5'4 wide to account for walls) seems to trigger the situation.

Update from Support:

This issue is being triggered because you have your stairs and hall both outside of any living areas.

I recommend wrapping any interior rooms inside a larger living room of some kind. In this case you could simply extend the dining room to overlap the hall and stairs and the program will understand that the stairs and hall are interior rooms. (See attached)

Kirk Clemons
Technical Support Analyst

room-definition.png