Flying Building

Olivier

Open the "Terrain Specification Dialog". Then locate the "Building Pad" input box and uncheck "Auto calculate" and set it to suit your purposes. You might also bother to read your "Users Guide" and "Reference Manual" (both found under the "Help" menu) where all this sort of thing is explained, lots to know.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Thank you David,

Sorry, I don't understand how to do.

When I follow your advice, uncheck "Automatic" box, and add "0" to "Subflore Height Above Terrain" small building is no more flying above terrain, but the big building is completely underground.

It seems to me that Home Designer Archectitural 2018 manage these 2 buildings as one, because when I select the biggest and build a new floor, it build it for both. HDA builds a floor for the big and the small buildings in the same time.

I read Chapter 33 of Chief Architect® Home Designer® Architectural 2018 Reference Manual, but it does not talk about my trouble.

Thank you for help.

Building-Flying-2.jpg

place increasing values in that box or even negative values and then see what that does to the terrain plane relative to your structure (it is called trial and error and is a great way to learn how a tool is programmed to work).

Reading the Manual is all well and good but then you also need to apply what you studied by trial and error practice, observing the results as you go. Only doing that will then provide a balanced way for you to gain Knowledge from your study and practice time. Just do it!

DJP

Terrain as a feature was added to Home Designer many years ago but the point is it was and is an add on feature. As such you create it as a unified object separate from the 3D model of the structure. You set the terrain relative to the floor zero of the 3D structure. That is what the "Building Pad" input box is for. By increasing or decreasing the value placed into the "Building Pad" input box determines its surface relationship to the floor zero level of the house model. It is not rocket science but merely a direct relationship that is there for you to control. So control it please.

DJP

Olivier,

People are trying to be helpful and the answer is in there, but I would have a hard time following this myself.

The terrain is set properly to the main building. (More or less. And you adjust it up and down with the subfloor height relative to terrain.) But you will have to adjust the floor/ceiling/roof absolute levels of the second building to be lower. The terrain doesn't really know how high the buildings are, so you have to set the building heights relative to each other, after calculating how much the flying building needs to drop. The subfloor of the flying building will be changed to a negative number, etc.